The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Featured Ideas

We're looking to use the worker setting that cancels jobs that run over a certain amount of time. However, In testing we noticed when the server kills the job it does not trigger the workflow event for 'after run with errors'. That said, it does trigger the 'after run without errors' event, but there is no detail in the email as to what happened. This behavior seems counter-intuitive. We primarily use 'after run with errors', so our users could potentially have their workflows cancelled and never hear about it. 

is it possible to do one of the following:

• Trigger the 'after run with errors' workflow event if the server cancels a job
  • Have a server notification that emails users when a job is cancelled due to run length

We're currently running server 2019.1, so please ignore this idea if this issue has been resolved in later releases. 

Here is the server setting I am referring to

Greg_Murray_0-1580323613304.png

Have the Alteryx Server send a notification when the license is within a configurable amount of days to being expired via SMTP

The admin (aka curator) needs to be given more control. The admin should have greater control than the users of the system.

My organization is in the Healthcare industry and we have HIPAA laws to abide by when it comes to data. Not all users should be able to see all data. Developers should not have complete control over the data they publish.

Private studio

• admin should be able to control if users can publish to Alteryx gallery (compliant issues occur when our organization's data is shared to outside users)
  • admin should be able to control if user can publish to public gallery (compliant issues occur when all users can all see and run workflows)
  • admin should be able to delete subscriptions and users

Collections

• admin should be able to create collections so they can manage the collections and what users have access to (devs should not be able to give any user access to their workflows)
  • admin should be able to control if users can create new collections (again, compliance issues)
  • admin should be able to grant and remove download of workflow rights
  • admin should be able to delete connections

Get tips from Tableau as they have admin controls down with their permissions process.

Hello,

Currently we are working on an issue where we are seeing an "inbound pipe" error during a scheduled workflow, terminating at the error.

However, the workflow doesn't officially complete; it simply terminates.

For the majority of workflows, when a workflow runs with errors, completing with errors, even if the workflow was unsuccessful, you can send an email via the events for that workflow, if the workflow completes with errors, to use as an alert or trigger, etc...

However this doesn't work when a workflow suddenly terminates with errors.

I'd like to see functionality added to all ow for an email event when a workflow terminates unexpectedly, without completing.

This way, I could set up a job to re-trigger the workflow if this happens.

This can occur when memory is swamped during the initial workflow.

This functionality would be a huge positive.

Thanks

I would love the ability to select multiple workflows at once to disable/edit/move workflows to a different studio or disable the schedule all at once (so like a check box to select them)- instead of having to manually select each one and move them and have to go back and forth.

This would also help during update time- as the longest part of the updates is waiting for the service to stop.  If i could select all/multiple schedules to disable at once- then the service would be able to stop when I chose (instead of waiting for scheduled workflows to run)

When installing and configuring Alteryx, the wizard allows the administrator to select the Gallery authentication to be used among:

Built-in

Integrated Windows authentication

Integrated Windows authentication with Kerberos

SAML authentication

The note states:

Once an authentication type has been selected, it should not be changed. Changing it may cause technical problems.

The gallery manual states "Once an authentication type has been selected it should not be changed or Gallery functionality may be compromised.

https://help.alteryx.com/server/current/admin/Configuration/SystemSettings/Gallery.htm?Highlight=%22...

If you are reading this idea suggestion, I hope it is not too late for you. Why allow the user to change the authentication method once the install is completed? What are the options to solve this?

One option would be to grey-out the "Authentication Type" section in the  "Gallery Authentication" screen, so the user is not able to change authentication methods once after the first configuration is set. This would still allow the user to change SAML settings.

Another option, if somehow there is a reason why a user would want to change authentication types even though it is not supported, what about changing the layout to make it more difficult to change the authentication type.

What are your other suggested changes?

This is not relevant if this idea is implemented https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Ideas/Allow-changing-of-Gallery-Authentication-witho...

However, I would imagine that a UI change would be a lot easier to implement that supporting overhauling the user management in the MongoDB.

Mongocontroller.log during its MongoDB dump processing records DB admin password in clear text.    This poses a security risk now only to the company but to the MongoDB itself. 

Is there a security patch ready to be pushed out to eliminate this risk?

This may be more from an admin standpoint but once I add workers into a cluster (controller token added), I have no way of knowing if the worker is now added to the cluster unless a workflow starts getting serviced and I view it from the 'View schedules' tab.

This causes issues specially when we have to add multiple of them and need to keep a track of which ones are added to the cluster or not.

On the admin page, I should be able to view the list of the workers that is currently existing on the cluster.

0 Likes

When there is an app that has multiple tabs across the top but can extend down below the page, the user will scroll down to complete the boxes and click the 'Next' button at the bottom. 

This takes the user to the next tab but remains at the bottom of the page.

It would be very useful for this 'Next' button to jump back to the top of the page.

0 Likes

Given there are multiple api versions.  I need a way to call the api and get the server version so I can make the correct API call or construct code logic which provides the user code requirement based on the versions features or limitations.

I propose a api call ../getserverinfo/ that returns server metadata like version, default worker thread count, and default memory allocation.

0 Likes

You cannot currently upload a new workflow and specify your own workflow_id GUID.  This would be useful for systematic workflows that need to be referenced in code.  Currently, you either to search for a workflow by name, but you are not guaranteed it a workflow instance you uploaded.  This would be helpful for server and workflow administration.

0 Likes

There is currently not a way to call the API and find out the calling user.  For instance, if I have a user API key and secret, I  to return the rest of the user info for the calling user or who is calling the api.  I propose a api call like ../user/whoami

0 Likes

Workflows which are scheduled and continuously failing in a row 5 times need to stop/disable the schedule. Sent a mail to the workflow owner stopped schedule due to continuous error.

For Administrating the schedule workflows this feature helps a lot. Many users create workflows and dump into server and schedule it and forgot it if we implement this strategy, it will be helpful to both users and Admin team.

0 Likes

At my organization, we have many workflows on our server that take data from one database and store it on another. We would love the ability for an alert system that warns us when a job fails so that we can solve it immediately and not risk the chance of not noticing until a few weeks or months later.

0 Likes

Please could all log file paths on Server have the option to change their location, including 

C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\ErrorLogs\AlteryxE2

To enable all log files to be written to an alternative drive than the installation.

The benefit it to prevent excessive space usage on the C: drive

Support have advised there is no way to alter the path or limit these log files by number or size.

Many thanks.

0 Likes

why didn't you implement the search in the schedules for users, it is available for admins?

for users who have a lot of schedules, it's essential

0 Likes

in version 2019.3, with artisan role, I able to add workflow to collection in the workflow page.

I not sure for later version, but in version 2021.4, only curator can do so. 

If I uploaded a workflow, designer already give me a link to the workflow, hence if I can add the workflow to the collection.

it goes through 2 pages within 2mins (max). it is very fast for me. 

but now, I have to go back to the homepage > collection > add workflow > wait eternal time for server to get the list of workflow > select it > click add.

it extra 5~ steps. with min 10mins extra time. and if the number of workflows larger and larger, 

it has chance that it fails to load the list and have to wait another 10mins, and another and another endless 10mins.

so 2mins > endless 10mins? please add back this feature.

0 Likes

Hello! We just upgraded to 23.2, and I see in v3 an endpoint to start a job (v3/workflows/{id}/jobs) and then another to get that job's status (v3/jobs/{jobID}). Compared to v1, I think the outputs endpoint is missing (v1/jobs/{jobID}/output/{outputID}). I'd love for this to be added so we can upgrade from v1 to v3. 

0 Likes

The dcm admin apis look promising. I would love if they could add put endpoints for sharing/execution and sharing/collaboration for admins. There is already a delete command for those two endpoints

0 Likes

I want to let my artisans choose the collaboration option when sharing dcm sources. Currently they'd have to be promoted to curators to do this.

Top Liked Authors