Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Allow changing of Gallery Authentication without having to reinstall Server

Currently, if you want to change from Built-in to Windows Authentication, you have to:

To switch authentication types, you'll need to start from scratch.

1. Stop the AlteryxService
2. Open a Windows Folder Explorer and go to the directory you have MongoDB loaded (System Settings->Controller->Persistence->Data Folder
3. Rename or delete that folder (a simple backup would be to rename the folder, you can move it to another directory as well)
4. Open the Alteryx Server System Settings and click next to Gallery->General.
5. Select the new Authentication process you would like to use.
6. Finish the System Settings and the new database will be created.

The Gallery and Scheduler databases are closely tied.  Workflows that are uploaded, results created, and schedules created from the Gallery are stored in the Scheduler database.  So you will need to start from scratch on both the Gallery and in the Scheduler.

This is a non-starter for any company that has any amount of time invested in establishing the use of the Gallery.   Starting over is not an option, but improving security, streamlining access protocols as a part of overall data governance is a must.  Please consider fixing the authentication protocol to make it so we don't have to start over.

Thank you,

9 Comments
StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

We are about to go through this process at my company.  Fortunately we "only" have about 50 applications and 10 of them are scheduled.  We set the server up with Built-in as a trial, then had a project that wouldn't allow for downtime when we moved to a permanent license (which is when we should have made the change).  Now we have to pull down the latest version of all of our apps,  copy down the schedules of scheduled apps, update, then start re-uploading and scheduling things to get them all working again.  This is not an elegant process.

Cimmel
7 - Meteor

Sruhl -  Thank you for weighing in.  I did hear from Alteryx that allowing this change will come with SAML 2.0 Authentication, so that is good, but not sure where it is on the roadmap.

I wish I had the foresight to ask for the Windows Authentication before we really ramped up.  At the time we set up the server, we were in the same situation, trial and add to that limited IT resources so we went with the Built-In.  With nearly 20 artisans and close to 400 published workflows starting over is impossible.

Cara

MattB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This request also came up in another thread that I recently responded to. As @Cimmel mentioned, we will definitely account for this soon. I am linking the other post here -> Private Gallery LDAP Authentication Option

jyeh
7 - Meteor

Related idea to prevent users from switching Authentication Type https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Ideas/Remove-quot-Gallery-Authentication-quot-Screen...

TanyaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

We are looking at what would be required to make this happen.

mchamps
7 - Meteor

Is there a timeline when this feature will be implemented?

JohnPelletier
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Folks, we know this is a pain point, and we want to fix it - it's got to be part of a larger authentication effort that we're trying to find the right time to do. This is rising in priority for us. Please remain patient and engaged, and we'll keep you notified.

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Revisit

After reviewing this idea thoroughly with our Product team, we’ve set the status for this idea to Revisit. While we don't accept this request right now, we do want to fix this problem as soon as we have available resources.

johndouvlos
5 - Atom

Ed,

Thanks for your help.  I must say if switching to SAML requires starting from scratch that is VERY BAD.

Every System I have where I had an opportunity to switch Authentication from NTLM to SAML didn’t require a fresh build.

That is outrageous so please pass that along to your manager.

John Douvlos

Information Systems