The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Trigger WF Error Event or Email User when Server Cancels a Job Due to Run Length Settings

We're looking to use the worker setting that cancels jobs that run over a certain amount of time. However, In testing we noticed when the server kills the job it does not trigger the workflow event for 'after run with errors'. That said, it does trigger the 'after run without errors' event, but there is no detail in the email as to what happened. This behavior seems counter-intuitive. We primarily use 'after run with errors', so our users could potentially have their workflows cancelled and never hear about it. 

is it possible to do one of the following:

• Trigger the 'after run with errors' workflow event if the server cancels a job
  • Have a server notification that emails users when a job is cancelled due to run length

We're currently running server 2019.1, so please ignore this idea if this issue has been resolved in later releases. 

Here is the server setting I am referring to

Greg_Murray_0-1580323613304.png

2 Comments
kurtwz
8 - Asteroid

I was going to suggest this.  Currently a timeout error keeps some of our jobs from running successfully, but timeouts don't currently trigger an error message, as noted above. 

This definitely needs to be changed.  Any set of circumstances that keeps us from knowing the trouble we're in until the customer finds it for us is a very bad position to be in, indeed.  It also raises questions in our org about whether Alteryx is the right tool for our ETLs. 

I love Alteryx and I'm a big advocate.  However, any job not running to completion successfully needs to generate an alert no matter what cause.  This goes for errors of commission as well as omission.  That is, whether the errors are caused by the workflow running and something going wrong, or if it's due to the workflow not running at all when it should've.

Thanks, Kurt

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

We appreciate your idea and feedback! We strive to improve our product and insure our users are being heard. Make sure to check out our Submission Guidelines and check out ideas submitted by other users and the other idea boards.