The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Allow Transfer of Owner from one Workflow to Another by an Admin

I am noticing what I think it's a big gap in terms of turnover and job changes.  Even though you can add workflows to a Collection for development and update purposes. Only the original owner/publisher can see the version history for a workflow. At least that appears to be the case in 2020.1

Is there any discussion for the road map to include a way to transfer the ownership of a workflow from one user to another? this would alleviate the need to publish a brand new version and then reset all the scheduling. 

27 Comments
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

This is a must have feature. Please consider including it on the dev roadmap. 

smithn293
5 - Atom

Yes please please please!

smithn293_0-1648827751665.jpeg

mercra
8 - Asteroid

Reading the swagger for v3 api it appears you can update the owner of a workflow.   Alteryx, is this true and would you be interested in developing a workflow to do this (WF input... old user, new user, wf id (optional).   And, since the API now exists, how long until we have an Editable owner field on the workflow in the Admin screen?  Thanks!

BTW, there is a macroset somewhere for the new v3 api

PUT /v3/workflows/{workflowId}  (owner is one of the inputs)

TheCoffeeDude
11 - Bolide

API is nice but I'd prefer this to be on the admin pages. To put it bluntly, my company has spent a lot of money on this product, having to spend more money to develop an in-house solution that could've been easily rolled into the product is unacceptable and just plain asinine.

mercra
8 - Asteroid

@TheCoffeeDude  Agree 100%... We feel the same way!  

TheCoffeeDude
11 - Bolide

The inability to transfer workflows to a new owner isn't helping during the "great resignation." One user with 43 workflows just quit and besides losing history (and the ability to audit changes), I've had to download each of his workflows, edit credentials, and republish them. But because the history has to be maintained, his workflows will live on until they can be archived.

This went from a sore spot to outright anger that this hasn't been implemented.

vijayalt
6 - Meteoroid

Liking this idea to prioritizing this feature.

aehrenwo
11 - Bolide

I can't believe I still get notifications on this post three years later. :)  I hope I get kudos when this finally goes into a production release lol 

rgoodr2
5 - Atom

@aehrenwo well here's another notification for you as I'm going through the same thing right now and was sent this post. Leaving a company as the owner of over 100 workflows and schedules and having to manually save, re-upload under a different account, but then still keep the old workflows for version history purposes is daunting and my time should be spent elsewhere...Not to mention having to re-create each schedule for those new workflows....

How was this not considered before? At a minimum I would've expected my account reps to mention it when we were setting up Alteryx Server to at least warn us that we should consider using service accounts as workflow/schedule owners.

arunkumark_21
7 - Meteor

I would also love to have this feature!

Attrition rate is always high in tech-world. this will be helpful