Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Specify Order of Output in Gallery App Results

When posting an app to the Gallery, if the app has, say, one PCXML output for the user to see, and one Excel file for the user to download, it would be helpful for to be able to specify which shows first to the user.  For example, I have a PCXML that gives the user summary tables, and instructions on how to go to the drop down above and select the second report, click on the Excel icon, and download it.  But if the Excel report shows up first, then there is no ability to give them instructions and many simply won't be savy enough to go find the PCXML in the drop down.

45 Comments
bsharbo
11 - Bolide

I concur. I find this critical, as it would allow you to output a "report" style template as the primary view, and then the additional output files (xls, etc..) would only be available if the user selected them. I have this exact business case on one of my apps currently and this would solve the problem nicely.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I have this need on all of my apps, as I always give the user a quick high level view of the data, and then allow them the ability to download the details, should they use. 

BGoode
6 - Meteoroid

Please make this available in future products.  This lack of control really makes the presentations look unprofessional.  Influencing potential users is really hurt by such lack of features. 

DultonM
11 - Bolide

Yes please! We just ran into this on a new app and had to change the way the app works because we couldn't force our "Summary" report output to appear in the Gallery first instead of one of the many "Detail" report outputs.

MattB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks @mbarone for the great idea! Also, thanks all for sharing your interest in this feature. I have taken note and will make sure we consider it for an upcoming release. Please keep the great ideas and any feedback coming!

Robert1
5 - Atom

This should definitely be added!

lanningb
7 - Meteor

This is exactly what I am looking for as well.

Has there been any progress with this?

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@lanningb  - if you could star my original post it will help.....the more stars an idea has, the more likely it is to be implemented; thanks!

pf
5 - Atom

I'm running Designer 11.7 and I'm having the same issue. 

I'm allowing users to select a specific report type of Excel or PDF and updating the file name to report.xlsx or report.pdf via action tool. I'm doing this for a requirement necessary if the app is called from an external API versus users running the app from Gallery. 

I'm also outputting a .pcxml file so users will see the report preview if they run the app from Gallery. 

When the Excel report option is selected, the .pcxml file IS listed first in the Gallery output files drop down and the report preview is displayed. 

When the PDF report option is selected, the .pcxml file is listed second in the Gallery output files drop down and the user must select the .pcxml file to see the report preview.

Since this original idea was posted back in 2016, I am wondering if the problem was addressed for Excel file types only based on the example stated in the original idea?

I have not been able to find any updates on status of the original idea that was updated to "under review" in 2017.            

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

No, there have been no updates as far as I know.  This is still occurring.