Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

allow save as to overwrite existing workflow with the same name

It would be great if you could overwrite an existing workflow when saving to the gallery from designer. It could be a simple popup with a yes/no option to overwrite/save a new copy. Currently, you would have to

1) Save your workflow to the Gallery.

2) Click on ok and be taken to that workflow.

3) Go back to your private studio.

4) Search for the app you want to replace.

5) Realize you have 7 copies of the same workflow with the same name and try to determine which one you want to replace. (this could just be a "me" problem)

6) Select that app

7) Click on replace workflow.

😎 type the name of the workflow in the box.

9) Look through your list of 7 workflows and choose the one that was just uploaded. Usually the first in the list I think.

10) Lament that it took way too many steps.

I recognize that you can open workflows from the gallery in designer which does allow overwriting, but I've run into issues with 1) external dependencies not working as expected (ie packaged assets don't quite work the way I want) and 2) about half the time it will simply give you root errors and then your only option is to save to a folder and then go through the process above.

31 Comments
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

This would be awesome!

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Haha this always happens when building custom macros, but shouldn't be in the macros within the product!

The pop-up asking if you want to overwrite or create a new version would work perfectly

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

This is needed.

JustinLine
7 - Meteor

Agreed with everyone, we are new to Server and this is a challenge!

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Thank you for the feedback!

It's awesome to see so much support so early on an idea. It helps our product team a lot knowing where the pain points for users are so we appreciate the insight.

ToddNT
7 - Meteor

Plus 1 to this idea!!! 🙂

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Very similar, if not identical to this (newer) idea here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Ideas/allow-save-as-to-overwrite-existing-workflow-w...

@CristonS - It would be great to combine the two to increase the like count to hopefully get more visibility

...Albeit it's already under review :)...

Sadly from 2019 😞 ...

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Very similar, if not identical to this idea here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Ideas/Enforce-or-at-least-warn-for-duplicate-workflo...

@CristonS - It would be great to combine the two to increase the like count to hopefully get more visibility

...Albeit the other one is already under review :)...

Sadly from 2019 😞 ...

CatheyH
8 - Asteroid

Plus 1 from me too.

We do a lot of development locally to reduce the amount of time we have to spend on the VPN(!) whilst working from home. Not being able to do this is exactly the reason we haven't migrated our schedules to Gallery.

In the older version you can go into the schedules and "pick up" the local file to replace the existing one and it seems very inefficient not to be able to do this in Gallery.

There is also this thread from 2015 which was solved by the "replace workflow" function, but if you read through the comments, many of them were looking for this solution.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Ideas/Overwrite-Existing-Gallery-Workflow/idi-p/6430...

Screenshot 2021-05-20 153818.jpg

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Accepted

This idea has been accepted as a candidate for future release! While we cannot provide an ETA at this time on when this feature will be released we'll do our best to update this idea once information is available.