Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Collaborative workflow editing, tracking and version control

This idea has been touted in different flavours over the years (but not implemented), but I'd like to push it a little further:

1. Create the ability to collaboratively edit an Alteryx workflow - e.g. like you can edit Microsoft documents collaboratively. If the front-end is primarily an XML interface, this should in theory be possible?

2. Version control (not version tracking) - i.e. automatically state the differences in scripts between versions and allow for checking in and checking out of code

3. Power BI & Tableau Prep have the ability to see exactly what changes were made and to reverse steps to get back to a specific stage of development: it would be great to have a panel that tracks all the edits you've made since you started editing the workflow

In simple terms, a modern, interactive way for multiple developers to work together, but also to encourage the use of Server to "check in" your application and to avoid developers saving the same file over & over again locally.

15 Comments
JohnPelletier
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@TomWelgemoed 

So what points of integration with git would you need to see, based on your configuration?

And that question is open to anyone else as well.

TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Hi @JohnPelletier,

Ah, I didn't realise you explicitly meant GIT - I thought it was an example. I'd like to answer your question in detail, but I'm unfortunately pressed for time, so I'll give you a quick few perspectives:

1. I think the repository/version tracking should be visible within Alteryx - perhaps a little like the Autosaved feature works, but instead of seeing all workflows that were "auto-saved", I'd want to see the versions of the document that has been updated

2. Ideally, it should also be possible to see all changes (steps) made to the current document/workflow, the same way that Tableau Prep or Power BI does - and then have the ability to delete/remove that change. This can be in  it's own panel (e.g. the Find/Replace panel)

Inkedme-combine-files-csv-expanded-table-step_LI.jpg

3. Finally, think it should be possible for other persons to open the same document if put in a shared location (or uploaded to the Hub) and pick up from where you left off.

Tough requirements I know, but think this is becoming the norm for enterprise applications. Would be great if we could at least part of this working.

Best,
Tom

JohnPelletier
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@TomWelgemoed Thanks for the input. I didn't mean to specify git only...though that might be a good place to start. But I appreciate the perspective of someone who uses other enterprise tools that do this really well. We have really high expectations for our own products and I think you'll continue to see that in the future.

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Not Planned

Thanks so much for all the feedback! As it stands, Server doesn't have capability to edit workflows, much less collaboratively like Office365, so that would be more a use case for Designer, but not in the near future; similarly for git integration. As Joe pointed out there are ways to diff workflows, using an app or command line process.

lwolfie
10 - Fireball
Status changed to: Under Review