Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Render Tool: Expected behavior vs Reality on Gallery

When a render tool is run on Designer pointed to a temporary file the log gives you a clickable link to access the output.  When deployed to the Gallery unless you have given it a specific output destination with %temp% in the filename you get... nothing.  

What did I expect?  The pdf or other temp file to render on the screen or at least download for me.  Or give me a dropdown selection of the various files render could create for me.

2021-09-29_15-20-05.png

4 Comments
Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Love this idea - I wish temp files worked the same on Gallery and in Designer.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@ephij FYI temp files used to display on the server back in 2015 with version 10.0. They changed it in 10.1 in December 2015 without mentioning it in the release notes. We adopted the server with 10.0, had a bunch of apps writing to %temp%, and then had to switch to relative paths with 10.1. Fun times 🙂  

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @ephij thanks for the feedback! That is indeed frustrating.

@patrick_digan was this documented anywhere that you know of?

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@CristonS The change that occurred in 10.1 was not documented anywhere that I know of. When we brought it to alteryx's attention in 2015, they did amend the app building guidelines to specifically mention not using %temp% when saving files to the gallery:

patrick_digan_0-1635435358376.png