Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Create an API endpoint for Data Connection Manager (DCM)

Currently, the API V3 endpoints does not have anything for Data Connection Manager (DCM). Create an endpoint to allow users to add/delete/update and list data sources, credentials, and users of DCM data sources. Also include an "admin" endpoint that can list all of the above for the entire server.

The admin screen of Alteryx gallery does not have an admin function for DCM sources, its users, and credentials. This can cause visibility issues during audits of the gallery. An API endpoint can alleviate this issue until it is added to the UI.

7 Comments
petrl
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi, @TheCoffeeDude! DCM API is definitely something we're considering for our roadmap, both for connection management and for audit purposes. We'll keep you posted!

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

This is a must have feature for big environments. My previous employee was rotating credential passwords using the CyberArk Service, the service provides an API but if Alteryx do not, the password rotation still manual...

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This would be very nice to have.

petrl
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @TheCoffeeDude @patrick_digan @Felipe_Ribeir0,

I just wanted to let you know we have introduced DCM API in the 23.2 Alteryx Server release.

In that release, we're introducing two sets of DCM APIs: one for Users and another for Administrators (Curators). The former allows full management of DCM Connection objects (with nested Data Sources and Credentials), while the latter addresses the audit purposes as well as limited management of DCM connections on behalf of users.

More details about the specific endpoints we introduced can be found in the help section under a specific DCM.E API Endpoints page.

We're currently working on expanding the DCM API further in the upcoming releases and we're happy to hear your thoughts on the existing endpoints!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@petrl Thanks! Appreciate all the hard work. We recently upgraded to 23.2 and I've started to have a look at these. I added this idea about giving the admins put endpoints for sharing/execution and sharing/collaboration. 

petrl
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @patrick_digan, great to hear you're already testing!

As for the sharing/execution update endpoints for admins - we're having internal discussions around these endpoints, especially concerning security We're currently considering multiple options on how to make sure everything remains safe.

What would be the desired use case, or rather, why is the User API scope insufficient/limiting?

Thanks! 

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@petrl our use case is that we're trying to simplify the end user experience. As a specific example, we tried out the Tableau Output tool with DCM. It worked on the person's laptop, but it didn't work when they shared to server. So we had the user go to server and setup the sharing for execution button to share with our service account that runs all jobs. That got it working, but then the next user runs everything through runner tools. So for that user we need to first make them a curator and then have the user share for collaboration. And then one of the users switched to a PAT instead of username/password, and it seems like the sharing was undone, so they had to set it up again. Looking forward, I'm going to have to jump through quite a few hoops/button clicks to get everything setup correctly. I see the APIs as a very valuable alternative where we as admins can manage everything. As soon as they setup their DCM and sync, I'd love to have admin put endpoints available to add the sharing part without the end user having to think about it. 

With all that said, I fully understand the security concerns with allowing admins to share a user's connection without their knowledge.