The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Gallery App Version Options

Hi,

I've got an app in my company's gallery that I've updated 11 times, so in the gallery it says "version 11". I noticed when I click on that area, it brings up a window that shows all 11 of the apps I've uploaded over time, with options to make them the published version & to download. This confused me since each time I update the app I get a warning saying the app will be deleted, which is what I want.

So for this app, I have a 800MB file within it, which would mean that on my gallery server I have 11 versions of an app that each contain at a minimum 800MB of data. I've recently been told by support that this is as it's intended, and if I want to get rid of the all the different versions, I should deleted the app entirely and start anew. This of course would change the URL to the app, requiring the updating of documentation and redistribution of that documentation to over 100 users. And I lose the number of times the app has been run, which doesn't work for me.

My idea is to have another option in the window that shows all the different versions with the options to download, but this option would be to delete previous versions...COMPLETELY, knowing that the owner would no longer have the option to download the version or make it the published version. Having this would allow the owner to maintain the original app with the option of dropping previous versions that are really not wanted anymore.1.JPG

4 Comments
JohnPelletier
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Eli_B  I love the Red Sox icon! I'm an old fan myself...with regard to deleting the version, I think we're going to be able to add that soon as an API call and possibly also in the UI. Looking into it now...

In any case, though, it's probably best to not package data with the workflow unless that's the only way you can do it. A file share approach would be best practice, because then you don't need to worry about multiple copies of the same file. 

Eli_B
10 - Fireball

Thanks John, that would be great! Unfortunately due to IT policy & other factors, I was not able to get a shared drive/or have it connect to our gallery servers. My choices were either to have the hard copy file within my app/workflow or to load that file to a DB. I did try the DB originally but it added a TON of time to the workflow process time. 

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Not Planned

hi @Eli_B, at this time we are unable to include this idea in our roadmap due to competing priorities; as such we're updating it to Not Planned. However, should this change or we become able to return to this idea in the future we'll be sure to update this status. 

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

+1. It would be greate to add this option it will help us !