The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Featured Ideas

The Delete and connect around in the right click menu is really nice for not having to go find the connector and re plug it in. I would ask that there is essentially the same option when cutting a tool. When the tool is cut the data path is uneffected. Also, it would be nice to be able to right click(or left click and ctrl+v) on a data path and paste the tool directly in, instead of having to paste then connect everything back up. Lastly, I often find myself pulling out the wrong tool/wanting to replace a tool with another. I think it would be nice to have the option of dropping a toll directly onto another to replace it. Again connecting drectly into the data path.

The current SharePoint API pull tool does not support the pull of managed metadata columns. It would be great if Alteryx would update the SharePoint List tools to be able to read in managed metadata columns.  

Please add the ability to interface with Oracle Siebel CRM. Preferably, this would be a built-in connector similiar to the SFDC Connector.

Current AWS S3 upload and download uses Long term keys with Access and Secret Key which sometimes causes security risk. 

Adding Short term keys to the tool - https://docs.aws.amazon.com/IAM/latest/UserGuide/id_credentials_temp_request.html will help to use session keys that gets changed after specific duration .

Thanks 

Hey all,

At present, if you have an existing canvas and you want to move to a DCM Connection - you are asked something like "this will reset all of your connection details - are you sure".    If you have complex queries; or pre+post SQL - then you first have to copy all of this out into Notepad before you can convert to DCM and then reconfigure it all again.

However, if you are not using DCM you can change data sources when you go into Workflow Dependancies without losing your queries etc.

Capture.PNG

Could we revisit the user experience of changing to or from a DCM connection to eliminate this "start from scratch" phenomenon - if you are converging from an existing SQL ODBC or ODB or SSVB connection to a SQL connection via DCM then it should allow you to make this conversion without losing your current configuration; and the same for any other database type.

cc: @mbarone 

Request: Currently Alteryx does not support a connector to SharePoint lists if those lists are on SP sites with claims-based authentication. Please add in this functionality so data can be imported directly into a workflow.

Rationale: Claims-based authentication can be used in situations where two workgroups (or companies) want to collaborate on information housed in a SharePoint list. The claims-based authentication allows for both "internal" and "external" consumers of the information to access the SharePoint site, perhaps with different permission levels.

However, if information is placed in a claims-based authenticated site, it cannot be accessed directly in Alteryx. Using the data in workflows becomes extremely difficult without cumbersome workarounds. The power and flexibility of Alteryx workflow scheduling, analysis, reporting, and notifications should be extended to cover data in all SharePoint sites.

Sample Use Case: I maintain a SharePoint site / list for vendors to report in on the status of projects we have assigned them. The site uses claims-based authentication to enable the vendors, who are not employees of our company, to access and update the list.

SharePoint's built-in workflows are adequate for notification and updating when a new item is added, or an item changes. However, I often want to obtain and send out snapshots of the data as they stand: how many items are open, how many have recently been closed within SLA, etc. This cannot be done within the SharePoint platform without extremely convoluted means and potentially tying up resources on the SharePoint server.

Alteryx has the perfect tools for easily performing this analysis and sending notifications to stakeholders -- and when using the Gallery scheduler, it can do so on an automated basis. However, without direct import into Alteryx from SharePoint, I need to have scheduled exports to an intermediary Excel file. Said intermediate export has issues with authentication, which would be resolved with a SharePoint connector that authenticates with saved credentials every time.

Hello Alteryx,

It seems that the Endpoint parameter for the Amazon S3 Upload tool only support "Path Like" URL. It would be great if the Endpoint parameter could also take into account "Virual Hosted" URL.

When we enter a "Virtual Hosted" URL, the "Bucket Name" and "Object Name" parameters don't respond correctly.

The three dots option for the "Bucket Name" parameter returns the bucket name and the object name at the same time. And the three dots option for the "Object Name" parameter doesn't suggest any object name.

We can enter those manually but we lose some of the Alteryx functionnality. 

It would be a great improvement that the Endpoint parameter takes into account "Virtual Hosted" URL so we keep "Bucket Name" and "Object Name" suggestions once the Endpoint is registered.

Is it in the roadmap?

François

I recently began using the SharePoint Files v2.0.1 tools to read and write data. The SharePoint Files Output tool allows you to take a sheet or filename from a column but that column is still included in the output. The standard Output Data tool has a "Keep Field in Output" checkbox that allows you to control if the column stays in the XLSX of CSV file. It would be great if this same functionality could be included in the SharePoint Files Output tool.

Ouput Tool Checkbox.PNG

A connector tool for the GSuit API that would enable us to import email contents, attachments, and other Google apps data into Alteryx.

At the moment, we use ODBC driver to connect with Dremio.  However, we have experienced that this connection fail when connect with Tableau until a native connector has been built.  

Do you think Alteryx can work with Dremio on building a connector for stable connection?  Thank you.

Currently, when you use a User login for AA and GA connectors, the latter make you re-enter your credentials at regular intervals, which is fine, but the problem is that the connectors you set up in the workflow at that point forget all of the configuration settings you set. There is really no good reason, in my opinion, that this should be happening. You should be able to re-enter your credentials and keep all of the settings you previously used. This is how Tableau connectors function. I wasted a lot of time re-entering the configurations for the connectors, which defeats the purpose of having a pre-built workflow.  

There is no way to natively connect to Microsoft Dynamics 365 F&O. We also cannot use the download tool to connect to the API as it requires an OAuth2 Bearer Token generation step. Documentation can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics-nav/api-reference/v1.0/

I would request a tool similar to the Salesforce Input tool to be created.

Suggested process:

• Configuration Window to log into a Microsoft Dynamics 365 F&O account
  • Configuration Window to select the following
    • 1 or more companies ("all" should also be an option)
    • The specific "table" or "api call" you want to query - for example the "Sales Invoice" Data
    • Date Range filter (both from + to date combination as well as some generic "this month", "previous month", "this quarter" kind of selections)

I would also request that this tool be developed so that it can run on Server and Analytics Hub so that we can run end to end automation.

I recently updated my Redshift ODBC driver and encountered a "Primary Key required for Update option" from the Output Data tool. This is a workflow that had been running fine prior to the driver update.  Further testing confirmed that driver version up to and including 1.4.4.1001  worked fine, but later versions including the current version 1.4.8.1000 all had the same issue.  

I opened Case #00311304, and was informed that the latest validated version is 1.3.7.1000, which is quite old and no longer available for download.  

I am creating this idea to request that it is now necessary to make sure Alteryx is 100% compatible with the latest Redshift ODBC drivers. 

The #bandofsolvers community has come up with many creative ways to determine if an 'output' action is complete before proceeding with next steps. However, what we really need is an optional output anchor added to (all?) tools in this class.

For example, currently if we need to Output Data to the same file 3 times, we have to put logic in place to make sure that the 3 updates happen in the correct sequence and do not interfere with each other. Or if we need to Render a file and perform additional modifications or file actions on that new file (e.g. ACL using icacls), we have to put checks in place to wait for the render to complete and make sure the file is freed by the write step.

However, if we could have at minimum an optional output anchor pass a Boolean flag indicating the 'output' class tool is complete, that would help tremendously! Even more helpful would be a xml/json object containing the tool configuration. Additionally, data/metadata 'pass-through' could be helpful in some situations as well.

I understand that this simple request could be significant change to the structure of the program, but throwing it out there for the 'Idea' space! 🙂

Right now, I have to do a little voodoo to get a user to select a sheet within an excel doc to use as a source.  My use case is that I have an excel file provided by other users in which the relevant data could be in one of many excel sheets, and there isn't a good programmatic way to determine the right sheet.  Thus, I want to prompt my user to select the sheet when running an analytic app.

I have to start with a file browse option to prompt the user for the excel:

File Browse Options.JPG

From here, the prompt will only ask for a file:

file selection.JPG

At no point will it prompt for the sheet it wants within the file.  And the action options don't give you the ability to change the sheet (it reads it from the file input after the pipe):

action options.JPG

To solve this, I have to create a app that only prompts for the excel sheet and then set it to output the sheet names.  From there, I do a little formula magic to split it into key-value pairs with the value being the entire file path pipe concatenated with the sheet name, save it to a file, then read the file in a second workflow which presents the sheet names in drop downs.  It looks something like this:

prompt flow.JPG

This all seems unnecessarily complex given Alteryx seems to have already figured this out in designer:

sheets.JPG

My idea:  Use the same file selector in the "Input Data" tool for the File Browser when setting the File value from an Action.  It would save me from having a separate workflow just to prompt a user for an excel sheet.

Thanks!

The SharePoint List Input tool currently doesn't retrieve managed metadata columns from SharePoint lists (confirmed by @DanC in April 2018, Pulling Managed Metadata from a SharePoint List). This severely limits our use of the tool, as imports in Alteryx lack most metadata that is relevant for analysis and reporting.

Would be great if this could be added in a future release.

Thanks,

Lars

HI,

Would love the option to pass a field to the AWS S3 Connector for the Key & Secret Access key. We are building an extensive datamart using AWS S3 and instead of manually changing keys each quarter (per our security) manually in each workflow & tool, we'd rather change it in one spot and have it filter into all affected workflows. 

Thanks.

Like for Salesforce Input and Output tools, the Salesforce Wave Output should offer the possibility to change the URL for the connection.

I struggled connecting to Einstein Analytics (Wave) in one of our company sandbox. I could not. However, I succeeded when I changed the harcoded url in both the macro and its related javascript.

Francois

When starting workflow from scratch I often build functionality in disjoint containers but would like away to indicate the order of running for containers (possibly by connecting with optional arrows to indicate order of precedence).

Would like to see more connection options than Oracle and SQL Server as the connection string through Other can be problematic and difficult to configure for certain connections. connectionstrings.com does not necessarily reflect the connection string that the Alteryx Service is using or would authenticate. Alternatively, have a mechanism for a user to generate the connection string of any input tool they have configured (older versions of Alteryx did this but now they use odbc aliases by default).

Top Liked Authors