The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Featured Ideas

0 Likes

The find and replace feature is great. Unfortunately, I was unpleasantly surprised to learn the hard way that workflow events are outside of its reach. Please expand to include the entire workflow to act on everything opening the xml in notepad could find and replace. The following demonstrates the omission...

On left side I search for the string “v022”

Below that shows zero matches

In the open event box near the center, “v022” appears in the command box

The occurrence in event command box should appear as a match, but does not.

hroderickthr_0-1627674740745.png

0 Likes

Currently, when sharing a workflow with a Python-based connector such as Google BigQuery, the credentials for the tool have to be reentered if the workflow is opened on a workstation different from where the workflow was created or by a different user on the same workstation. 

There is no need to re-authenticate when publishing a workflow to run by a Server schedule or on the Gallery. This functionality should be extended to sharing the workflow between workstations with the Python registry key enabled.

0 Likes

Salesforce Input tool throws a conversion error if labels are longer than 40 characters:

Per_0-1596783872135.png

Could the the size of the field be increased to whatever the the Salesforce maximum is, or at least be configurable from the tool configuration. 

Particularly annoying is that the conversion error cannot be ignored (as seen in the Union tool) but will continue to show the result as yellow in the Scheduler. We like to keep a green board! 

0 Likes

Hello, I noticed today when changing the database that my connection string is linked to that Alteryx Designer did not require my password to be reentered.  See below:  This is the initial state of the connection string:

2020-06-03_16-25-56.jpg

Notice that the database ends in "...-dev" and there is an encrypted password embedded in the string.  So far, all that is fine because that's how I set it up.  However, I typed a different database to end in ...-dev-data-migrations" in the string (while keeping the same server) and expected to be prompted for the password again, but the connection was made with the existing password and I was not prompted to reenter it (see below):

2020-06-03_16-25-20.jpg

While this is convenient, in my mind this represents a security problem because someone could set up an associate with a connection and only want them to be able to access that server, db connection, but might inadvertently be allowing them a connection to any other database in the same server that happens to share the same password. 

This is all the more risky considering it's standard practice to wipe out the password to a saved connection whenever there's a change to that connection.  These are standards in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studios, Oracle SQL Developer, and most likely many more.  I would even go so far as to say it's an industry standard to wipe the password whenever a change is made.  It's even standard with other elements of Alteryx Designer.  In the data sources quick connect window, you're unable to change the database after a connection was made to one database using SQL Authentication as is shown below:

2020-06-03_16-40-48.jpg

Notice the existing user name and password combination only allows the one single database connection. 

I think it makes sense to change this so that the password is wiped out whenever any change is made to the connection.

0 Likes

Hello Alteryx, Please fix Salesforce Input and Output tools. 

The input tool has a lot of issues with Login , , Custom SQL, Json issues, Machine Encryption, and saving to the gallery , . 

Unable to use Crew macros with Salesforce input Workflows etc.... there is a lot of post's with all the issues with Salesforce V.1 Versions. 

0 Likes

Hello,

I am using google analytics connector (v7.0.7) with alteryx  designer version 2019.4. I am using online option to sign in and able to extract required dimensions and metrics but when it gets disconnected, I have to select everything again.

That would be very helpful if  I can simply save my settings with selected dimensions, metrics and segments etc.

Thanks 

0 Likes

Dummy/garbage text is required in the "Write to file or database" field to be able to write files from fullpaths using the "Take File Table name from field" check box and dropdown (also horrible UX/UI IMO). Without which you get a uninformative "Cannot access the folder" error message.

This isn't obvious and makes no sense and should not be required. The User experience here is very unintuitive, can you review this component?

0 Likes

Cisco, which has been building enterprise networks, and is literally close to the Internet of Things, is creating some data products, perhaps a platform, perhaps a suite, to handle big data. Part of their offering is DNA Data Virtualization (http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/enterprise-networks/dna-virtualization/index.html). Compare Cisco at 75,000 employees to SAS at 15,000. 

0 Likes

Sometimes, when I am working with new data sources, it would be nice to have a dockable pane that would allow me to view the schema of all of my connected data sources. That way I could rename fields and change data types as needed without having to jump from one select tool to the other to see how the schemas compare.

0 Likes

My organization requires users to change their active directory passwords every so often. That's fine. That does create an issue with changing passwords on all workflows that contain a tableau server publish, but that's not the real issue here.

What's more annoying is that once that password is changed, the data source name and project is lost. When updating multiple data sources across workflows (or within the same workflow) this becomes quite cumbersome and annoying. 

I know there are limitations on the partner side as this is technically a tableau controlled thing, but is there anything that can be done here?

0 Likes

Have been using Alteryx GA component and found some issues, apart from the setup teething problems I was having.

So thought I’d let you know , in case it’s just not me who is suffering…

We do a fair amount of marketing for our Private business and like to measure conversion of the pipeline.

I’ve been looking at Lead -> Account -> Trade

Have been drilling into lead data with little source identifiers which are appearing in a NULL bucket..

When using Alteryx

I noticed that the Profiles for my id do not appear fully in Alteryx via the drop down..

It picks up QA profile data instead of the live profiles and does not show the whole set ?

Tableau works correctly showing the complete set of GA profiles

I don’t have the full set of profiles…

Maybe config related but why bring in some profiles and not others when I can access fine from GA directly and via Tableau ?

Trying to set these profiles and config files seemed problematic – reset to default removes the 4 config files, when you run again it doesn’t create them.

Had to keep a copy of these and put them back in manually or cpy an old widget and run a new one up from that …

Resetting the profile and saving caused other errors to appear related to the Tokens…

Found that annoying and a waste of time… immature (arghh) !

I think the Alteryx implementation is immature and not as good as Tableau and you have more work to do…! But may just be me !

Can you help improve it as I’d like to pull and blend reliably via Alteryx and do this for a range of dates to avoid sampling data

I do love the product but love this a little less than anything else …

I’d also love to be able to pull from Tableau data sources into Alteryx as we have all of our history in Tableau server

Has anyone else wanted the same ?

Obviously you can store to TDE but want the reverse… to pull from Tableau server

0 Likes

Below is a list of DBMS rankings as of August 2016

(for an updated and longer list see: http://db-engines.com/en/ranking)

I personally look for; HBase, Splunk, MariaDB, Couchbase, Amazon Dynamo, CouchDB connections...

Rank  DBMSDatabase ModelAlteryx
AugJulAug   
1.11OracleRelational DBMSYes
2.22MySQL Relational DBMSYes
3.33Microsoft SQL ServerRelational DBMSYes
4.44MongoDB Document storeYes
5.55PostgreSQLRelational DBMSYes
6.66DB2Relational DBMSYes
7.78Cassandra Wide column storeYes
8.87Microsoft AccessRelational DBMSYes
9.99SQLiteRelational DBMSYes
10.1010Redis Key-value storeNo
11.1114Elasticsearch Search engineNo
12.1213TeradataRelational DBMSYes
13.1311SAP Adaptive ServerRelational DBMSYes
14.1412SolrSearch engineNo
15.1515HBaseWide column storeNo
16.1617FileMakerRelational DBMSNo
17.1818SplunkSearch engineNo
18.1716HiveRelational DBMSYes
19.1919SAP HANA Relational DBMSYes
20.2025MariaDBRelational DBMSNo
21.2122Neo4j Graph DBMSNo
22.2220InformixRelational DBMSNo
23.2321MemcachedKey-value storeNo
24.2424Couchbase Document storeNo
25.2528Amazon DynamoDB Document storeNo
26.2623CouchDBDocument storeNo
27.2730VerticaRelational DBMSYes
28.2829Microsoft Azure SQL DatabaseRelational DBMSYes
29.2927NetezzaRelational DBMSYes
30.3026FirebirdRelational DBMSNo
31.3131Riak KV Key-value storeNo
32.3340Amazon Redshift Relational DBMSYes
33.3232MarkLogicMulti-model No
34.3434dBASERelational DBMSYes
35.3535GreenplumRelational DBMSYes
36.3633IngresRelational DBMSNo
37.3739ImpalaRelational DBMSYes
38.3836SphinxSearch engineNo
39.3943HazelcastKey-value storeNo
40.4038EhcacheKey-value storeNo
41.4151Google BigQuery Relational DBMSYes
42.4350OrientDBMulti-model No
43.4241InterbaseRelational DBMSNo
44.4545Spark SQLRelational DBMSNo
45.4455TitanGraph DBMSNo
46.4668RethinkDBDocument storeNo
47.5081InfluxDBTime Series DBMSNo
48.4769AerospikeKey-value storeNo
49.4947CloudantDocument storeNo
0 Likes

At the moment the salesforce connector does not support view objects like AccountUserTerritory2View. It should be extended to support those objects to facilitate more efficient and above all complete data extraction. 

0 Likes

I want to connect to Salesforce without Security Token.

Salesforce doesn't need Security Token when we set Login IP Ranges.

Actual Condition:

1. In Salesforce, I set Login IP Ranges like below so that Salesforce doesn't require Security Token.

Alteryx_4.jpg

1. I could connect to verify custom object definition viaSalesforce Input without Security Token

Alteryx_1.jpgAlteryx_2.jpg

1. When workflow rub, Salesforce Input shows error message.

Alteryx_3.jpg

Thank you for considering our request.

0 Likes

I would love the to get back the ability to use WHERE clauses in the custom SQL to manage the data that gets imported from xlsx files. I can currently use the legacy driver but would like to have that added in for the current driver.

0 Likes

I've run into an issue where I'm using an Input (or dynamic input) tool inside a macro (attached) which is being updated via a File Browse tool. Being that I work at a large company with several data sources; so we use a lot of Shared (Gallery) Connections. The issue is that whenever I try to enter any sort of aliased connection (Gallery or otherwise), it reverts to the default connection I have in the Input or Dynamic Input tool. It does not act this way if I use a manually typed connection string.

Initially, I thought this was a bug; so I brought it to Support's attention. They told me that this was the default action of the tool. So I'm suggesting that the default action of Input and Dynamic Input tools be changed to allow being overridden by Aliased connections with File Browse and Action tools. The simplest way to implement this would probably be to translate the alias before pushing it to the macro.

0 Likes

I know y'all are working on data lineage for some future offering and it is very much needed. For highest quality results, please make logs a primary source of lineage information. Being able to use dynamic naming with some tools and macros makes the names in the workflows simple foobar placeholders and do not reflect what actually happened. Today Connect doesn't use logs and leaves many lineage gaps because of this

Please move this to a more appropriate category if needed. This future feature work is not part of Connect.

0 Likes

The current SharePoint connector works fine until you encounter SharePoint lists hosted in MS Groups which appears to use Azure Active directory much different from how the original SharePoint domain works. An easy way to determine this is if your SharePoint lists have a domain with https://groups.companyname.com instead of https://companyname.sharepoint.com.

Currently the work around is having go through the MS Groups API which is complicated and requires extra IT support for access and other credentials.

0 Likes

Hi Team,

With Sharepoint Tool 2.3.0 , We are unable to connect Sharepoint Lists with service Principal Authentication as it requires SharePoint - Application permission - Sites.Read.All and Sites.ReadWrite.All in Microsoft Azure App. However, as those permissions will gets access to all sites in respective Organization community, it is impossible for any company to provide as it leaks data security. Kindly provide any alternative or change in permsiions for Sharepoint Connectivity with thumbprint in Alteryx.

Regerence Case with Alteryx Support : Case #00619824

Thanks & Regards

Vamsi Krishna

0 Likes

HI, 

Not sure if this Idea was already posted (I was not able to find an answer), but let me try to explain.

When I am using Mongo DB Input tool to query AlteryxService Mongo DB (in order to identify issues on the Gallery) I have to extract all data from Collection AS_Result.

The problem is that here we have huge amount of data and extracting and then parsing _ServiceData_ (blob) consume time and system resources.

This solution I am proposing is to add Sorting option to Mongo input tool. Simple choice ASC or DESC order. 

Sebastian_Chaieb2_0-1679473890913.png

Thanks to that I can extract in example last 200 records and do my investigation instead of extracting everything 

In addition it will be much easier to estimate daily workload and extract (via scheduler) only this amount of data we need to analyze every day ad load results to external BD.

Thanks,

Sebastian 

Top Liked Authors