Thanks to @gautiergodard for showing me the SparkED Job Board!
I was actually curious about Alteryx freelance roles in general and what practices are in place for people hiring in terms of data security. That prompted me to post on the General forum here.
I was then led to the SparkED Job Board by Gautier, and I will be honest, it was somewhat difficult for me to find the Job Board through self navigation. Once I found it, I am quite disappointed that the Job Board is not very active nor user friendly to both job posters and hunters.
It is difficult to find Alteryx specific roles, and it is sometimes also difficult to hire for Alteryx specific persons (one problem I am facing at the moment).
But then it dawned on me. Alteryx is partnered with many companies - some as vendors selling + using Alteryx for their own clients, and some with direct clients. Surely they must be needing some talent - and with Alteryx having a worldwide reach, surely many partners would be interested in utilizing this free source.
I think it will be useful to split my idea into a few sections so that it can be seen more holistically.
#1 Change the Name, Function & Location of the Job Board
Right now, the SparkED Job Board's path is through Community -> Learn -> SparkED Education -> Job Board.
Based on some of the postings there, it seems that the need of people posting tends to sway more to hiring people with some years of experience with Alteryx + general Data Engineering and Data Science skills. It would be more beneficial to put it under its own category in the tabs above like so:
Doing so makes it more prominent, easier to find, and could bring more clicks in.
#2 Change UI/UX of Job Board
The current Job Board looks like this:
Some tweaks to make it more Job post-and-search friendly would be:
- Changing "Create an article" to "Create a Job Posting".
- Having a direct "Apply" button that notifies the creator of the Job Posting that the user has applied.
- A good resume would be the Alteryx Community profile itself. The badges, profile activeness, certifications, ideas, and user ranks are all things that can be used to gauge a profile. It can also include links to your LinkedIn, GitHub, or any page that has your work on it.
- The box view currently is hard to see. It would be great if a company name or project name can be seen first + a logo, role name second, location preference, Remote/On-Site, and salary range / project price range is visible in smaller boxes would be more captivating and easier to go through.
- It is also helpful to categorize the job post as either a full-time, part-time, contractual, project, ad-hoc, or training role.
- Have a filter function on top that covers the field mentioned in the previous point + a search bar would be great as well!
#3 Posting Rights
Just as how we post Blog articles on Alteryx, it can be moderated by the Alteryx team.
For example, companies do not necessarily have to create an account on the Alteryx community to post. They can reach out to a community member responsible for this page, and they can provide all the necessary details required to post a job.
The Alteryx team can decide the level of moderation which they wish to apply, and then check it off with the Job Poster to continue.
#4 Split Job Board into Job Posters and Job Hunters
Of course, it will be helpful if people could post their profiles indicating that they are looking out. This will be slightly different for job posters, but can still be moderated by the Alteryx team. In addition, it would be helpful to have the following features:
- An icon frame that indicates one is hiring or looking for work as part of the Alteryx Community icon.
- An anonymous posting in case some users are not comfortable with sharing on the community itself.
Outreach by Alteryx
As mentioned, Alteryx has many partners worldwide and I can only see the partnerships increasing as the days go by. I am sure that the companies Alteryx work with are interested in getting more talent.
This can be part of the overall package which Alteryx sells. Not just the software that changes lives, but it also comes with a Community that is helpful AND can find you talent to make those transformations a faster reality!
The community is buzzing with ACEs, top contributors, etc. It will be great to have this feature as well - another golden point for Alteryx.
Thank you for reading and considering this idea. I hope this idea is taken up by the Alteryx Community and team - I am a firm believer in this as it can help even more people and makes Alteryx a skill more worthwhile knowing in 2023 and beyond.