you mentioned in your post here (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Community-News/Alteryx-Community-Top-Contributors-March-201...) just how important it is to mark things as "solution" once they are solved so that people know a good solution to the problem (similar to StackOverflow)
However, I've been trawling through the discussion boards, and there's loads of old stuff out there that has not been marked.
I think that there's two relatively simple things we can do on this:
- Give people quickfilters (like you do on the ideas discussion board to see what's on the roadmap etc) to target problems that are unsolved. This will allow the solution hounds in the community (see the top 10 list below) the ability to quickly target any spare time to focus on providing solutions. Note - I'm pretty certain that there is a huge community of people providing solutions, but they are not getting the credit 'cause folks are not marking their original request as "solved"
- Additionally - we need the ability to clean up - I was trawling through the older ones, and there's items out there from 2012 where I'm pretty sure that the requestor is no-longer checking for updates on this thread. We can do 2 things here:
- the community can request that people mark these as solved if they are solved (the solution hounds can chase this)
- we also need the ability to mark a solution if the original poster does not - almost like a community vote like Stack Overflow does - again, this will allow the solution hounds and to assist with cleaning up the backlog, and will also make the data in this community more valuable.
- Finally - some things cannot be solved - we need to mark these as "closed but not solved" in some way. For example - I could easily post something saying "please let me know how to get Alteryx to automatically change variables through the workflow when I change them". This is on the idea board (and on the roadmap I believe), but not currently solved. Can we have a way of either marking these as "Closed" or "Closed as new product idea - moved to idea board" and then create an idea-board insert for this?
I think that this would really help in cleaning up the backlog of items on the discussion forum which are years old and still looking like pending discussions!
Top 10 solution hounds (people with accepted solutions) across the 4 discussion areas as of 09 Apr 2017
( @MarqueeCrew @alex @patrick_digan @Bob_Blackey @pcatterson @Garrett @Kanderson @jlefeaux @JohnJPS @ThizViz @Claje @Abiswal86 @munirsalim @mbarone @msbs48 @AmandaMS @patrick_mcauliffe @ShannonH @rpaugh @bsharbo @tlisti @jdunkerley79 @Evie @DavidVonka @dev_raut @brendafos @toddhowl @oliver_huber just to take the top 10 from the various boards)