This site uses different types of cookies, including analytics and functional cookies (its own and from other sites). To change your cookie settings or find out more, click here. If you continue browsing our website, you accept these cookies.
What can we do to make your Alteryx Community experience better? Let us know!
We've mirrored the Community Idea statuses with the Product Ideas statuses for more consistency. You may have received notifications of this change - apologies for any potential spam, but we hope that having all Ideas on the community have the same statuses will help you better understand what phase of the process the Idea is in. Over the next few weeks, we will update the idea statuses to their new correct version.
Alteryx For Good Activity in India is AdHoc (based on when the charity organization was on-boarded and based on the nature of the Alteryx use cases they have) hence, we will rarely be able to follow or get the existing Alteryx For Good week badges.
The suggestion is to create new badges that can be allocated to individuals who participate in such events/activities.
This will help to keep up the momentum of the volunteers!
(I understand tracking can be a challenge, but we can use eventbrite portal to track the attendance.)
However, I've been trawling through the discussion boards, and there's loads of old stuff out there that has not been marked.
I think that there's two relatively simple things we can do on this:
- Give people quickfilters (like you do on the ideas discussion board to see what's on the roadmap etc) to target problems that are unsolved. This will allow the solution hounds in the community (see the top 10 list below) the ability to quickly target any spare time to focus on providing solutions. Note - I'm pretty certain that there is a huge community of people providing solutions, but they are not getting the credit 'cause folks are not marking their original request as "solved"
- Additionally - we need the ability to clean up - I was trawling through the older ones, and there's items out there from 2012 where I'm pretty sure that the requestor is no-longer checking for updates on this thread. We can do 2 things here:
- the community can request that people mark these as solved if they are solved (the solution hounds can chase this)
- we also need the ability to mark a solution if the original poster does not - almost like a community vote like Stack Overflow does - again, this will allow the solution hounds and to assist with cleaning up the backlog, and will also make the data in this community more valuable.
- Finally - some things cannot be solved - we need to mark these as "closed but not solved" in some way. For example - I could easily post something saying "please let me know how to get Alteryx to automatically change variables through the workflow when I change them". This is on the idea board (and on the roadmap I believe), but not currently solved. Can we have a way of either marking these as "Closed" or "Closed as new product idea - moved to idea board" and then create an idea-board insert for this?
I think that this would really help in cleaning up the backlog of items on the discussion forum which are years old and still looking like pending discussions!
Top 10 solution hounds (people with accepted solutions) across the 4 discussion areas as of 09 Apr 2017
Similar to the weekly challenges camping badges (weekly challenge badges that are assigned when individuals complete - 5, 10, 30, 50, 100 challenges) - There should be camping badges for the regular Alteryx For Good visitors.- 2, 5, 7, 10, 15, 30, 50, 100 (the frequency can be less as there are only limited number of visits one can make throughout the year).
This will bring in a gamification aspect for a good cause and will also be helpful to track individuals who have done more AFG visits and others can leverage their experience and expertise.
Please note this Idea is different from the Adhoc Badge idea posted earlier.
One of the areas that may be lacking in content a little is the server / admin side. I may have missed this, but it seems like there are very few (if any) challenges or contests for the folk who do look after the Alteryx Server to sharpen their skills.
This is an area that I'd like to learn too - both to grow my own personal skill, but also to be of assistance for these sorts of questions.
Would there be a way that we could create a focus area around Server; and also a way for community members to download and install Server at home to learn? We could severely limit this version (e.g. the learning version only allows 5 live workflows) to prevent people making a commercial operation, but still make the full capability available so people can learn this key part of the puzzle?
I believe we also missed 10th March, which is both "International awesomeness day" and also Chuck Norris's birthday.
We have to start thinking for 2018 how we can appropriately make a fuss of these important days. We should ask ourselves "what would Chuck do"?
Don't worry though - we still have time to plan for International CAPS LOCK day, which is held twice per year on June 28th, and Oct 22nd. THAT IS FANTASTIC YEARLY EVENT (JUST GETTING IN SOME PRACTICE)!
Hello - I am attaching a mock workflow below. I have been having trouble using the join tool to match data from two excel files. The only "identical" column is name, but because the first file has middle names, hyphens. I end up having a lot of fallout in the left and right join tool. There is at least 10,000 rows of names to go through and I tried using the multi-row formula/different ways to parse data, but then it does not split the names correctly. Can someone please help me with this?
I want the names to be fully capital (easily done using the formula tool). However, I not sure which tools of alteryx to use after.