Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Community Ideas

What can we do to make your Alteryx Community experience better? Let us know!

Standardized Login for all Alteryx sites - SSO

Hi there,

The login to the community goes through the Gallery - which is a problem for folks in locked-down corporate environments (in our firm, the gallery.alteryx.com URL is locked down so that there can be no leakage of intellectual property) - as a result, none of us can log into the community site (Community.alteryx.com) and sign in as ourselves from work.

Would it be possible to replicate the login URL so that if I'm logging in from the Community it punches me through to Community.alteryx.com/login instead of Gallery.alteryx.com?   You could use the same authentication and the same credentials in the background, but at least then we'd be able to log into the community from the office and contribute to questions and discussions?

Thank you

Sean

22 Comments
LeahK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention @SeanAdams.  If this is a problem for you, it's likely something other customers are experiencing as well.  I'll have our IT/IS team evaluate whether or not the workaround you proposed is possible. Stay tuned for an update.

LeahK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Comments Requested

If you are not able to login to the Community while at work, please let us know by commenting on this suggestion.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Are there any other Alteryx users out there in locked-down corporate environments that don't allow access to the gallery because of security concerns?

The only reason that we cannot access the community internally is because of the fact that the login URL is https://gallery.alteryx.com/?referer=https://community.alteryx.com/#!account and the entire http://gallery.Alteryx.com address series is blocked.

@MarqueeCrew mentioned that he'd had previous experience of this kind of env from your corporate days; and I'm guessing that folk like @Joe_Mako@dataMack ; @jack_morgan@michael_renwick; all probably have the same issue along with many many others?

cc: @avinashbonu ; @Deeksha

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

I am fortunate to be in an environment that does not limit our access.

Is your IT department not able to make an exception for you? or can they change it to block URLs containing https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!apps since that is the base URL to access/run the apps there?

dataMack
12 - Quasar
Our corporate environment blocks all websites by default, but we have a process where you can request to 'whitelist' a site. Once somebody has whitelisted a site, then all employees can access it. In my company there is a process where we fill out a simple form to request to whitelist a specific domain (ex. 'gallery.alteryx.com'), or you can also request to wildcard whitelist (ex. '*.alteryx.com'). Reach out to your IT dept about doing the latter.
avinashbonu
5 - Atom

Whitelisting is a great idea. As community and gallery give access to different sections, it would be easier to negotiate with InfoSec dept on whitelisting community.alteryx.com/*. It would be very beneficial to change the URL to indicate the actual section we are trying to access. Thanks @seanadams for starting this thread.

Irony - I wanted to upvote this, but could not till now as I was connected from corporate network! 

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey all,

We had a discussion with several folk while at Inspire ( @PoornimaF ; @JulieH ; @AustinO ; etc) and it seems like this is a matter that would need to be addressed at one level higher than just the community.

The discussion we had was around authentication with Alteryx.com generally, and it seems like this would be a great help across several areas if done as a single authentication site, with authentication passed to the various sites.

• Community.alteryx.com
  • Gallery.alteryx.com
  • downloads.alteryx.com
  • and then we could add subsites like licensing.alteryx.com for license admins etc; partners.alteryx.com for partner specific content etc.

The thinking was that we could:

- Add an authentication site (e.g. login.alteryx.com)

- If you hit any other Alteryx site and are not yet authenticated, it just redirects you to Login.alteryx.com and then takes you back once authenticated

This would solve a whole collection of problems; and in fact this is the way that the Microsoft Site works currently.

Note: If we split identity & authorisation out from the sub-sites, it would also address matters such as this one:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Suggestions-For-Our-Community/Ability-to-change-the-e-mail-address-...

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Adding to the list of sites above:

- drivers.alteryx.com has a separate login

- Additionally, every time I want to download a whitepaper or register for a webcast, I'm taken to the page and asked to register my details for the customer team to follow up with me.    This must be a real frustration for the sales teams too, who get all these false leads from people who are existing clients but where the site does not recognise them.

All of these should be handled by a single login for the Alteryx.Com family of sites.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi all - any update on this?

• We are desparately keen to get our folk going through the academy but our infosec folk refuse (rightly) to open up the gallery.alteryx.com on the whitelist.   This issue really is preventing us from getting our folk on an education path to higher levels of Alteryx competence
  • Finally - this is directly impeding us from fixing the issue with license logistics that we're working with @PoornimaF on.
  • Additionally - now that we're really digging into our server management more robustly - we realise that we need to have an automated process to monitor for new drivers etc - but these are behind a different login.

Is there anything that we can do to help make the case for building an SSO login for the Alteryx suite of sites as a matter of priority, so that logging in does not happen through the gallery?

The request is to have a single place to authenticate to the community (like login.alteryx.com) that authenticates all of the sub-sites on Alteryx.com so that we can get away from the pattern where community and licensing uses gallery.alteryx.com as an authentication server.

Thank you all

Sean

cc: @AshleyK @JulieH @Arianna_Fuller @Ari_Fuller @JoeM @Ned @LDuane

LeahK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks everyone for sharing.  I've passed along the additional feedback to our internal stakeholders, and will update this thread as soon as I have more information on our plans to optimize the sign-on process across customer facing applications.