The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Featured Ideas

Integrate matchit SQL with Alteryx

http://matchitsql.com/

Want to upload image to Amazon S3 however the current types don’t have .jpg or .png option for us to choose.

Since we use Mosaic extensively we would like for the colors used in the Interactive Chart tool to be assigned by a value in order to match Experian's color assignments.  For example, if [Mosaic] = “A01” then use RGB 77/72/ 133.

Thanks for the consideration.

Currently I am unable to use Alteryx's spatial calculations in completing required reporting for CMS.  Its unfortunate, because in my mind Alteryx is a superior approach allowing for customization and seamless integration with varied data sources used within our company.

You might ask, why don't you just use actual driving distance?  The datasets that we are measuring are enormous. +60M member files are being compared to 70K providers.  Alteryx is missing a huge opportunity to get into this market.

Reference

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Prescription-Drug-Coverage/PrescriptionDrugCovContra/downloads/hsd_meth...

Travel Distance to Providers and Facilities

The second component of the review process tests the percentage of beneficiaries resident in a given county with access to a particular specialty type within the maximum travel distance. For a given county and specialty type, CMS uses the geographic coordinates for the associated providers or facilities and the geographic coordinates for the beneficiaries resident in the county and calculates the travel distance between them. The travel distance is calculated using a formula to determine the estimated driving distance (miles) between the latitude and longitude coordinates and provides an average for the total beneficiaries in the given county

I am currently building workflows on unfamiliar data and using the filter tool on text fields regularly on a large excel file.

As there is no dropdown on the right hand side of the filter tool I find myself needing to open excel and use it's dropdown functionality to find the right text to filter on. I know I could use the summarise tool but each time I run the workflow it takes many seconds to complete before it is populated. It is quicker to use Excel. I am surprised this has not been requested before.

With more and more enterprises moving to cloud infrastructures and Azure being one of the most used one, there should be support for its authentication service Azure Active Directory (AAD).

Currently if you are using cloud services like Azure SQL Servers the only way to connect is with SQL login, which in a corporate environment is insecure and administrative overhead to manage.

The only work around I found so far is creating an ODBC 17 connection that supports AAD authentication and connect to it in Alteryx.

Please see the post below covering that topic:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Alteryx-Designer-How-to-Connect-to-Azu...

The Render Tool for creating reports like PDFs etc does not function if any of the table data it receives contains an accent or special character,

UTFDataFormatExceptions occur..

It also doesn't work if you want filenames output with accents/non-english characters.

So forget about reporting in proper representations of German/French/Swedish/Irish/Russian/Chinese/Japanese.

This is a bit surprising and needs a note in the render tool documentation also!

Can you fix this feature please!

As an ETL developer I have an experience of working in Informatica and Talend.

As a developers, we often make changes to fields in the workflow at different stages of workflow development, and in the same time we wish that those changes would propagate flawlessly to the subsequent tools/transformations within the workflow.

One such amazing feature is available in Informatica Powercenter, where we can propagate field attribute changes in just few steps. Please see below article which explains in-details about this feature. Link - http://exploreinformatica.com/propagate-port-attributes/ 

Reference:

Propagate.png

I would suggest that something similar should be available in Alteryx Designer. Please review.

Thanks,

Anoop

Posting this idea after searching the community postings and then submitting a question to confirm:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Function-to-convert-to-from-HEX-encode...

I could invest the time into creating a macro to do what I need, or per @MichaelF suggestion a custom formula. However, the functionality already exists in the Blob Convert tool, so I'm suggesting that Alteryx provides that existing functionality to customers in a Formula.

I checked the Conversion formulas:

https://help.alteryx.com/2019.1/Reference/Functions.htm

And found other users talking about making a macro to do this:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Hex-to-ASCII-Conversion/m-p/344126

Could Alteryx add a new Conversion formula to convert a field to/from HEX/Base64 formats similar to the current Code Page conversion functions?

Thanks,

Cameron

For the Sample Tool, can we add a selection to "Skip Last N Rows".  We have a "Skip 1st N Rows".  We have a work-around but it would be easier if we had that choice in the tool.

It is nice that there is a sample node option for In-DB, however it isn't a random sample.  It isn't always feasible for me to stream out and use the random sample % option.  In fact on numerous occasions when I use the Data Stream Out option in DB I often times have workflows crash because it can't handle the number of records I am trying to stream out.

An independent volume control would be helpful when testing workflows and you keep getting errors it can be annoying and distracting to neighbors if they keep hearing the error PING. You may need to keep your master volume up to be able to hear incoming emails, etc.

It would be great to see the R tool updated with the same interface as the Python tool to reduce the need to rerun the workflow when testing.
It would be great to see the R tool updated with the same interface as the Python tool to reduce the need to rerun the workflow when testing.

I love color coding in formula (and hope one day we have the same for query tool ^^ ). However, it appears italics is perturbing.

Here the issue I have with Pipes on the second line :
2019_03_16_23_09_28_Alteryx_Designer_x64_small_data.png
This is particulary hard to to distinguish with slash /. 😞

Some more options to configure interface behavior and appearance would be much appreciated. Specifically standard GUI anchoring and stretching properties.

Here's an example provided by Alteryx for the Map Interface Tool. You can see that the tool is too small for the user to use (1st screenshot). Resizing the form doesn't help the situation (2nd screenshot). However, the map interface tool for the last option properly resizes (3rd screenshot).

Alteryx devs might want to consider implementing an html/css interface for the desktop version when running analytic apps so that the gui code only has to be written one time for desktop/server.

Note that these are screenshots from the included Map Interface Tool example provided by Alteryx.

Can't see all the options. No way to fix without a redesign.Can't see all the options. No way to fix without a redesign.Resizing the form doesn't help.Resizing the form doesn't help.

(The user still can't click the accept button)

The control in the last group stretches properly.The control in the last group stretches properly.

I would like to see In-DB batch macros, currently we are joining tables with 30 million+ records and we are having to run it through standards tools because we are unable to process via In-DB, which has a 20% improvement in processing speed based on the peformance profiling.  

I always end up sorting after the Summarize tool. It would be nice to have an option to sort on a field in the Actions section of the Sort tool. 

I was showing Alteryx to someone who was color blind. They did not have the ability to see some of the colors in the tool palette or the formula tool colors. Would be nice to have an option to toggle the colors for color blind people. Color blindness affects approximately 1 in 12 men (8%) and 1 in 200 women in the world. 

I want my Save Setting to stick on the Browse tool when I save output.  I almost always save to Excel.  The default is to save the output as an Alteryx .yxdb.  That is useless unless I going to further slice and dice in Alteryx - which I'm not - which it why it being output to Excel to go to the end user.  Once a file type is chosen - let that file type stick for future exports as most people save there output in the same file type each time.  I find myself inadvertently saving .yxdb and then needing to resave in .xlsx.

Top Liked Authors