Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Featured Ideas

0 Likes

I tend to use a lot of the 'Names' for the connections. 
If you're not familiar with this option, or the above makes little sense, when you select a connector (line) on the canvas, within the configuration window, you can enter a 'Name' (or just some text) in the box, that will then appear on the canvas. 

I'd like this option to be expanded on. 

Rather than just putting in some text, I'd like the ability to have the text centred on the line between the tools. Maybe have the text a different colour. One definite option I'd like is for 'Wrap-Text'.

I tend to use this option to make notes on my workflow, as I find that it looks better than a comment box or tool annotation. It's useful if your workflow has multiple streams and you want to note what one stream does. 

As an example of how I use it: 

Rags1982_0-1638458263569.png

To be able to have this 'Wrapped' would make it so much neater. 

Only a 'small' change I guess(?)

Currently it's possible to use the Output tool to output to either a sheet, a place in a sheet or a named range in Excel, but it is not possible to output to a preformatted excel table - it would be really good if the output tool had an option to output to [Table1] in an Excel workbook for example. This enhancement would be incredibly helpful for reporting purposes.

We frequently have issues where users report slowness from an Alteryx installation on a particular machine; or where a specific tool or package fails to install correctly.

For our admin teams - this becomes a debugging exercise to go through different permutations to understand the cause - and if this is escallated to Alteryx Support, this becomes even tougher.

Could we think about including a basic "Self Diagnostic" in to Alteryx which runs through the basic functionalities of Alteryx with some basic timings; checks that Python is working correctly; checks the memory allocation and temporary disk space - and then either persists this to disk and/or sends to a central environment for analysis?

Given a large deployed environment like ours (over 10 000 seats deployed) - self-checkout-telemetry like this would provide the central team with massive increase in their ability to manage the deployed base; and at the same time signficantly reduce the time to resolve support issues.

Consider adding an on-demand, or pay-as-you-go Designer license and product to your AWS product offering.

It will be helpful if we can set the Importance (Normal/High/Low) of an Email sent by ALteryx. 

A new option can be added in the existing Emailer event (see attached)

Best Regards!!!

I use the skip 1st N rows in almost all my workflows and find that I have unwanted rows at the bottom of my data a lot and will end up having to sort the data before being able to skip the 1st N rows. It would be a lot easier to just skip the last N rows instead.

The "Detour" tool is incredibly useful in Macros. However, it really isn't much use in the normal workflow area.

We need a "Detour" tool suitable for normal Workflow (not from within a Macro) which would greatly aid in workflow controls and logic.

Having just participated in weekly challenge 293 there is a requirement to output a table with certain conditional row colours. However the configuration is based on rgb colour codes, whereas the desired output displays the colours using hex codes. 95% of the development time on this challenge was to get matching colour formatting, so being able to insert hex codes would improve this experience.

cgoodman3_0-1637588819650.png

cgoodman3_1-1637588840307.png

cgoodman3_2-1637588900043.png

FILTER Tool must be enhanced to filter out data from Excel based on the color of the rows. Currently we are preparing a report which requires us to segregate data based on different colors. 

There are multiple ways to achieve this outside Alteryx but if this feature is provided in Alteryx, then we need not invoke programs from elsewhere.

Attached is the screenshot of the data in Green, Purple and White.

Thanks! 

0 Likes

Alteryx to develop for the people who are Disable under American with Disability Act.

Since the release of Alteryx Intelligence Suite (AIS) with Designer 2020.2 there have been loads of great new features added to the text mining and computer vision tool palettes. However, as I currently understand it the only way to get these feature enhancements is to also upgrade Designer as well. For example if you are running 2020.2 but want to now access the table detection feature that was released as part of 2021.3 you need to also move to Designer 2021.3.

Where organisations may only push installs of Designer every 6 - 12 months to their users, it would be great if there was a way in which AIS could be upgraded at a different cadence, either by removing the reliance on keeping in step with Designer (I appreciate this may not be possible when python dependencies depend on a particular version of python), or by making new/updates to AIS tools available on Alteryx Gallery (like what occurs with data connectors).

When using an OUTPUT tool, you can currently only output to one (1) format.  My idea is to allow for a checkbox to create a YXDB file format when you output to another format.  In many instances a copy of the CSV data in YXDB file format is needed.  Creating another output requires another tool with nearly identical information.  This is my backup copy to what I sent the customer is an example.

Cheers,

Mark

Taking inspiration how you work with Jupyter notebooks and use the notebook to show your workings,  wouldn't it be great if you could document your workflows directly on the canvas more in a notebook style.

I think this essentially can be summarised down into two features:

1) Markdown functionality in the comment tool

2) Ability to import results from IRG and  / or browse tool directly into the canvas.

I have mocked up a version of what this could look like in the screenshot below.

cgoodman3_0-1637103136947.png

Overall I think it would improve the experience of documenting workflows as you can show your workings in-line while building the workflow. Plus it solves the debate around team vertical vs team horizontal as you build using both! 

Currently if I drag a tool onto the canvas and it has multiple input anchors, Alteryx will try to connect to the first input anchor from the output of the nearest tool I am hovering near.

However the improvement I would like to see is where there are specific tools which are required to go into each input that it 'intelligently' connects to the correct input, for example on the gif below I have a PDF input and PDF template tool (pre-computer vision), and when I bring the image to text tool in, it will try and connect the output of the template tool into the D input anchor, when the correct input is the T anchor. What this leads to is me having to delete a connection and then re-wiring which slows down the development time.

Tool connections.gif

Often (like, a surprising amount of the time), we will be on a working session with a customer and I'll notice they will break a data stream connection in order to prevent downstream tools from running.  Of course, I always coach them to add a tool container to the downstream tools, then disable it but they continue to choose not to.  

I'd love to see a feature where we can right-click on a data stream, then select "disable downstream tools", which then auto adds (and disables) a tool container. 

Gif of current behavior I too often see below, thank you!

BreakConnection.gif

Similar to https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Custom-Functions-in-AMP/idc-p/845446#M16381, it would be great to have AMP allow for custom C++ functions. Custom XML functions were added in 21.1 for AMP, so custom C++ functions would be the natural next step!

cc: @jdunkerley79 @TonyaS 

The Dynamic Input will not accept inputs with different record layouts.  The "brute force" solution is to use a standard Input tool for each file separately and then combine them with a Union Tool.  The Union Tool accepts files with different record layouts and issues warnings.  Please enhance the Dynamic Input tool (or, perhaps, add a new tool) that combines the Dynamic Input functionality with a more laid-back, inclusive Union tool approach.  Thank you.

Hi Team,

This is very helpful if you add the run and stop option in scheduled workflow for Alteryx designer desktop automation. There is no option of pausing the workflow. this idea should be implemented that will make life easy who are running n- number of workflows.

Thanks,

Kaustubh

Hi, 

Standard In-DB connection configuration for PostgreSQL / Greenplum makes "Datastream-In" In-DB tool to load data line by line instead of using Bulk mode.

As a result, loading data in a In-DB stream is very slow.

Exemple

Connection configuration

sraynal_0-1636466821367.png

sraynal_1-1636466835308.png

Workflow

sraynal_2-1636466860791.png

100 000 lines are sent to Greenplum using a "Datastream-in" In-DB tool.

This is a demo workflow, the In-DB stream could be more complex and not replaceable by an Output Data In-Memory.

Load time : 11 minutes.

It's slow and spam the database with insert for each lines.

However, there is a workaround.

We can configure a In-Memory connection using the bulk mode : 

sraynal_4-1636467449268.pngsraynal_5-1636467549725.png

And paste the connection string to the "write" tab of our In-DB Connection : 

sraynal_6-1636467648321.png

Load time : 24 seconds.

It's fast as it uses the Bulk mode.

This workaround has been validated by Greenplum team but not by Alteryx support team.

Could you please support this workaround ? 

Tested on version 2021.3.3.63061

0 Likes

I am a citizen developer utilising Microsoft Power Apps and would like to see a Dataverse connector.

Top Liked Authors