The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Featured Ideas

0 Likes

Alteryx current C5 implementation requires very carefully crafted data to work.

This is fine in an academic environment, however production datasets are rarely available with such low level of tolerances.

Competing products have implementations that will not fail as easily and Alteryx doesn't have any other multi-way decision tree option.

A good alternative would be otherwise a tool that does some dataset diagnostic so that we at least can know where the problem is without having days of data scientist time to comb the dataset.

Thank you,

Marco

0 Likes

Can we have string function that parse the string between 2 indices?

As FindString can find particular string occurrence,we can easily get required part of string easily from that index till required index.

or If we want entire remaining string we can have a function like:

Substring(String,StartIndex,EndIndex) Where endIndex can be : Length(String)-1

0 Likes

When working within the canvas/properties the mouse is the primary tool and allowing a middle click would be an easy way to initiate the workflow.

Currently, middle button can be used for moving in the canvas area (click and hold) and closing it (click on the tab).

0 Likes

Hi All,

I had posted in the Tool Master | Unique thread about how when I use this tool it does not preserve my sort.

This seems odd to me. I understand that it's "a blocking tool and that records are then sorted prior to executing the tool process" as @TaraM points out. However, in a program where data is explicitly manipulated to a condition, there is an expectation on my side (maybe mistakenly?) that if I sort something that it would not be changed unless stated or indicated in some fashion. 

For my use case I was sorting to eliminate the duplicates, then joining that data to eliminate other duplicates and outputting the resultant to my users and future-state will be automatically fed into a system, for each stage it matters that the sort function is kept intact.

I know it's a simple complaint / fix, but its unexpected behavior on my end and could mean less confusion and less tools on the board. which is always a good thing in my book.

0 Likes

Wonder if it would be possible to have a set of SQL tools in Alteryx which to the user would look like you are dragging in a tool to manipulate the data (such as filtering data) but in the background it is updating the SQL (such as adding a WHERE clause) meaning the module runs faster. This would be easier than having to manually update the SQL code and would run quicker than bringing all data through and filtering afterwards.

I know there is currently the Visual Query Builder, but this is quite fiddly to use so would be good to have something more user-friendly.

0 Likes

When enriching your date data, week information is pretty critical, I suggest adding %w to the format stings as well..

Picture2.png

Several month based expressions can also be made weekly, data time first of week #31, last of week #45 etc....

Picture3.png

Also came across a lot of questions at our community on how to turn week based data...

Writing the formula is obvious (Ceil(DateTimeDiff([Today],[Date],'days')/7))

but having a DateTimeDiff([Today],[Date],'weeks') is preferable don't you think?

Cheers

0 Likes

It would be nice to have the option to open a macro from the configuration window.  I often use the find tool to locate macros and sometimes they are in collapsed tool containers or buried under other tools and it makes it difficult to right click on the tool itself.  The find tool brings up the configuration window so if there was a button on that window it would make opening the macro more efficient.

0 Likes

While scrolling through the analytics gallery, if I click on a tool  on page 5 to read the details and then hit back key, it takes me back to page 1. It would be nice to just go back to my previous page.  

Thanks!

0 Likes

Currently, there is a setting in the table tool to control the decimal places of all values by column. This is not only unnecessary, but it actually screws up any data that comes in where the ROWS may have different number of decimals. The only way around it is to convert everything into strings, which is annoying. Please just get rid of that column setting! Or enable the same setting inside the row rules. 

0 Likes

Hi - I was attempting to build a workflow as an analytics app that could notify the user with a message when there is fallout from certain joins that needs to be reviewed. Not all fallout is bad fallout, so I would not want the message to stop the workflow form running, but rather give a friendly reminder to verify that the fallout is okay or immaterial. It is my understanding that their is currently not a solution to this after speaking with the support staff.

Thanks,

Trevor

0 Likes

Hi,

Since the Geocoders create point data, having the spatial field recognized as a centroid can be helpful to the user. If it's marked as a centroid, it makes it easier for the user to differentiate between point vs polygon/line, especially if the user is already using polygon data in the module. If I do a Spatial Match or Join, I can have two fields called SpatialObj, which I have to track back to figure out which is which. If after combining, it showed Centroid for my geocoded points and SpatialObj for my polygon data. Kind of like you do for the Create Points tool, if I use that the field is called Centroid.

Thanks,

0 Likes

Field selection in Multi-Field Formula seems to be 'All' or 'All of a Type' or, potentially, lots of manual tagging.  I have >600 fields and want to select about 150 adjacent fields.  Is it possible to implement a 'mass select' option within the Multi-Field Formula Tool, as found in other tools?

0 Likes

Map input allows the user to connect the Q anchor to a file browse in order to navigate for a Reference Layer.

Please allow functionality for the tree input tool to do this as well.

Thanks!

0 Likes

I keep making the same changes to the table tool rules, using the same formulas when I build new reports. For example, Row Rule 1: Font, bold; Background Color, green; Row Rule 2; Font, bold; Background Color, blue; Row Rule 3; Font, bold; Background Color, yellow. Each is based on a formula:  IsEmpty([Column Name]). I do this over and over and over again. The only thing that changes is the column name. It would be nice to have the Row Style Rules saved so they can be browsed to" or inserted.

Still waiting for the Default Table Settings to include "CENTER" in the header tab.

0 Likes
0 Likes

recently loaded the new V11 and gettting used to it.  one immediate gripe is the new version of the Formula Tool no longer supports multiple field actions.  In the prior version I could change Data Types on many fields at once.  I could move multiple fields in a block at once.  there were a few other things but these are things I am sorely missing on my first use of V11.  I created about 20 fields in quick succession just getting names down and then going back and putting in formula which were variations on a theme.  When done I noticed the default DataType was V_WString and I wanted integer.  In the past it was no big deal because I could select the block or interspersed fields and then right click to change data type for all to the same data type.  it was very handy and now appears to be gone.  please bring these things back.

0 Likes

I would like to see the pencil (that means writing to a record) go away when the Apply/Check button is clicked.

0 Likes

For some workflows I see the value of concentrate a high number of formulas in a single Formula Tool, specially when you have a considerable number of simple and independent formulas. This makes future changes to the workflow easier, since you (and other in your team) know where exactly to find the formulas in a workflow. But as higher the number of formulas in Formula Tool, more difficult is to find a specific formula in the tool.

My suggestion is to implement a sort option - so you list the formulas/columns alphabetically - and/or a filter option - bringing the relevant formulas/columns as you type. 

Since I am relatively new in the Alteryx world,I am not sure if there is an alternative for that (officially or unofficially speaking).

Thanks. 

0 Likes

I would like the functionality to configure my own installation media for my companies environment. For example, I want send new users to a link where they can install Alteryx designer that automatically turns on phone home data with our gallery information and installs any company wide macros that are relevant for the users. Then I would like to be able to push any periodic updates to all the designers in our company. For example, if Alteryx comes out with a new version that I want to deploy or if I come out with new macros that I want to deploy I can deploy across all users easily from the server. Obviously the ability to roll back updates would be needed as well.   

0 Likes

Add input of ArcGrid file format.

Top Liked Authors