Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Featured Ideas

When users who have no idea what the Field API Name is try to pull data from Salesforce it can be problematic. A simple solution would be to add the Field Label to the Query Window to allow users to pick the fields based on API NAME or FIELD LABEL.

Pushing data to Salesforce from Oracle would bemuch easier if we were able to perform an UPSERT (Update if existing, Insert if not existing) function on any unique ID field in Salesforce. Instead of us having to do a filter to find the records that have or don't have an ID and run an Update or Insert based on the filter.

When pulling data from Oracle and pushing to Salesforce, there are many times where we have an ID field in Oracle and a field containing this ID in Salesforce in what is called an external ID field. Allowing us to match against those external ID fields would save us a lot of time and prevent us from having to do a query on the entire object in Salesforce to pull out the ID of the records we need.

One of our biggest issues when updating our Salesforce instance from our Oracle Database is the difference in column names. It would be nice to be able to map the fields as needed rather than having to redefine the columns in a Select tool or Dynamic Rename tool. This would allow more end users to understand what the tool is doing.

It would be handy if it were possible to order (i.e. right-click to drag, as in the Select Tool) ALL constants created by the user, including Question constants etc.

I'm not doing a report but extracting data from a report 30 times to assign where the data goes.

It would be nice if in the "Output Data" tool if there was a check box to remove all field names so there is only data

Thanks! 

I noticed when viewing the Browse tool results, the user can now select records, then right click and have options to copy the records. I like this, just thinking it would be even cooler if there were options to open selected records in a new window as well. So the user could select the records, right click, choose open in new window, and then get the expanded viewing window to view the selected records. 

Just like having an e-mail sender,

I'would love to have an SMS sender as well for automated sending marketing SMS messages...

• probably it can be done with a free SMS API found over the web or
  • better It can be provided as a service from Alteryx Gallery... Country by countyr availability to  sendin sms'

Send SMS ToolSend SMS Tool

• Can be used for 2 step verifications
  • marketing messages
  • campaign enrollment etc.

Best

The idea is specific for streaming analytics;

Alteryx seems it can be scheduled frequently to see if there is an update to a file in question.

It would be awesome to enable a listener which will be auto triggered when;

• ay new line is added to a data set (probably a log file) or
  • an update to an existing row in a database (then the relevant score will be recalculated for ex.)

It will be straight forward to provide reactive responses to a log file and voila!

Alteryx automation and alteryx server will become a "complex event processor"...

complex event processing with Alteryx?complex event processing with Alteryx?

Here is a link to wiki page for CEP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_event_processing

@GeorgeM would you think this will put Alteryx to another gartner MQ* as well?

*https://www.gartner.com/doc/3165532/add-event-stream-processing-business

Since I am a new user I am not sure if there is already a way to customize sort order in Alteryx.  In Excel it is possible to use a saved list to define a sort order.

One example is where the sort function uses the labels for months of the year.  Instead of ALPHA ORDER in the ouput you might want to see the MONTH ORDER. 

Order.jpg

Excel supports an alternative sort order through the use of custom lists. Some custom lists are provided with the software and users can add their own custom lists.

The Excel interface for sorting using custom lists looks like this:

Excel.jpg

Improve the productivity of creating a canvas workflow by bringing up the 'Search All Tools' when I click on the canvas or create connections.   Currently, you must either search on the top toolbar then drag the tool down or right click in the canvas and navigate the menu.  It would be great to have a similiar functionality of the 'Search All Tools' box anywhere I click on the canvas to quickly add new tools to the workflow by typing rather than dragging from the toolbar. 

Case 1: When I create a connection from a current tool by clicking on the output and dragging to an open are, rbing up the 'search all tools' bar where I click and allow me to search the tools on the canvas.  Once I select enter, the tool selected will be brought into the canvas.

Case 2: when I click on an empty space in the canvas, bring up the 'search all tools' bar where I click and insert the selected tool into the canvas. 

Hi,

Recently I was helping a client to design the workflow to do transformation. In the middle of the work, I feel a bit lost on handling so many fields and thinking it would be great if there is a feature that allow me to track the field actions along the workflow. It could be something like a configuration on the canvas, user activate it only when they want to.

And when it is activated, the workflow could become:

23.PNG

So it is easier to find the path of certain field along the whole workflow.

Or is there any method to achieve this at the moment?

Thanks.

Kenneth

Would really love there to be a way to store environment related config variables without requiring the use of an external config 'file' that you need to bring in in every workflow.

Functionality should be similar to how the Alias manager works (although allowing aliasing of more than just DB connections)

The sort of things that would typically be included as such a variable would be:

• contact email address for workflow failure/completion
  • other external log file location
  • environment name
  • environment specific messaging

If this could be set for different subscriptions or collections it would be fantastic. If not, at the server level would suffice.

When running an app (not in the Gallery), the status bar appears to complete for each tool, then start over for the next tool.  It'd be great if while it was doing that, the tool name that it was running displayed.  Now, I know for most processes this will be instantaneous and your eye won't even catch it.  But if we have, for example, several join/sort tools with lots of data going through them, it would be nice to know which one it's on.

It would be a handy feature if it were possible to choose a data type for an input tool to read the data in as. For example, if a dataset has multiple fields with different data types, it would be handy to be able to make the Input Tool read and output them all as a string, if needed. This would also make a handy tool, a sort of blanket data conversion to convert all fields to the specified type.

Have you noticed that when you save a custom image to a macro it multiplies the file size? Below I will outline why I believe this happens and how it could potentially be fixed.

Hypothesis:

When a image is saved in the XML of a macro, it is saved in a single line of XML code that is generally quite long. I believe the problem this causes is that this very long image code extends the length of all other lines to this new max length. This increased line length seems to increase the file size and is multiplicative based on how many lines of XML that have been extended in the macro. For example, I added a 5KB image to a 7KB macro and saving the macro resulted in a 29KB file size. I have also experienced saving a 5KB image to a 300KB macro that yielded a 1.4MB macro. 

In the (very zoomed out) image below, you can see the single line that contains the image information for this simple macro.

Macro XML Image.png

Potential Solution:

Images are saved in the Image tool by splitting the image information into multiple lines. I suggest this same methodology be introduced to custom images loaded to macros. The image below shows the XML of the Image tool that has the same image as the macro stored.

Image Tool with Stored Image.png

I mentioned this in the Solutions Center at Inspire 2016, but I wanted to follow up here to make sure it wasn't lost in the mix. 

Ever tried to copy a field rename from one select tool to another, or from one summarize tool from another.

Have you noticed that it doesn't work?

I think it should. 🙂

i.e., if you click on the rename box ("Total") and enter ctrl-c, when you enter ctrl-v in the other tool, it pastes this:

Field2 Sum Total

not just the name "Total"

Instead of just the renamed field "Category", the select tool pastes this:

True Field1 String 1 Category

SummarizeRename.png

SelectRename.png

Reduce mouse movement required by bringing up the "Add" menu at the point of the cursor when right-clicking on a field in the Fields window.

When moving a tool container, all of the tools within it become mis-aligned with the canvas grid.  Moving any single tool immediately re-aligns it to the grid, which puts it out of alignment with the rest of the tools in the container.

Example:  Put 3 tools in a row in a tool container, all aligned horizontally.  Next, move the container.  Now, move the middle tool, then try to place it back in alignment with the other two.  You won't be able to, because they are out of alignment with the canvas grid.

Please fix this.  

0 Likes

It would be awesome if we could perform a 'create or replace' on an excel file with the output tool. The tableau TDE extract has an output option that says "Overwrite existing extract file (Create if does not exist)" If the excel file format option could have this same output option that would help out a ton!

Top Liked Authors