The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Add function "eval"

It would be great if you can add a function "eval". This would be similar to R or access where you would pass a string to the eval function and it would then evaluate the string. My made up use case would be something like this: I have 1 Million rows of data with 20 fields. The first 10 are value1, value2...value10, and the second 10 are value1_right, value2_right....value10_right. I would like to replace valuex with valuex_right if valuex is null. With a multifield formula tool selected I could write something like this with value1-10 selected: eval("IIF(ISnull([_CurrentField_]),["+[_CurrentFieldName_]+"_right],[_CurrentField_])"). Thanks!

6 Comments
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Great suggestion. Really hoping for this function.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Here was a good question today that could have used an eval function: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Run-a-macro-on-several-columns-at-the-...

They could have used a multi-field formula with something like:

If isnull([_CurrentField_]) then eval("[Right_"+[_CurrentFieldName_]+"]") Else [_CurrentField_] endif

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

edwin_isensee_td
5 - Atom

How do I vote to support this idea?

Dylan_L
5 - Atom

Hi, any new ? thankyou :)