Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Run a macro on several columns at the same time

gdarya
5 - Atom

Hello, I am looking to run a macro that would update several columns at the same time. My goal is to replace null values in one field with another field that has the same name but starts with "Right_" (common columns after a join, but one has more nulls that the other). I cannot use a multi-field formula since I cannot refer to the other column as "the same but starts with Right_". I don't want to use transpose either because I'm working with large data.

I've created a simple macro that does what I want for a single selected column. How do I make it work on a list of columns?

sample macro.png

2 REPLIES 2
MattBSlalom
11 - Bolide

The Dynamic Replace tool has the magic you want.

In this sample, I filter to just the first row to Transpose to get the Header values, then filter out those with the "Right_" keyword.  A formula is added to generate the Expression fields needed for each of the Header values.  Finally the Dynamic Replace executes those Expressions to generate the desired output.

Sample workflow:

MattBSlalom_0-1620333508654.png

gdarya
5 - Atom

Great - thank you!

Labels