Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Featured Ideas

0 Likes

Variations of this concept have been discussed in community since 2016.  Alteryx is awesome right up to the point where we need to see our files in ArcGis Pro or ArcGis Online.  The shapefile is painful.  We have to rename every field in ArcGis Pro with over about 10 characters because all of the field names are truncated.  Yes- you can make a shapefile and a text file from Alteryx, then join in ArcGis Pro, but its a million clicks and its not a good solution.  Shapefiles are limited to 2GB, which is not great either, but the field truncation is super frustrating.

In fact- rather than making an output file, I bet it would be easier to make a tool that connects to the ESRI API.  Everyone gets stuck on passing the spatial field because its like a giant text field with all of the instructions to create a point, line, or polygon.

Does anyone have the software engineering chops to make this happen? :)

0 Likes

It would be cool if we could just drag the normal input tool and drop it on the Dynamic Input, so we could set the template, and save the clicker finger....  It would be even cooler if Alteryx didnt need a template, but thats a different story.  This seems like an easy attainable feature upgrade.  Keep rocking, Alteryx!

0 Likes

Hi Team,

Hope you are well. I am currently tasked with downloading the contracts from SAP for my analysis.

Is it possible to develop an app or automation which can go to SAP asks for user/Pwd and download the contracts/PDFs to a specific folder?

Please let me know your thoughts,

Thanks,

Sri

If a tool fails, there should be a way to customise the error message. Currently a way to do it: log all messages in a file, read that file with another workflow, then customise the messages (Alteryx workflow error handling - Alteryx Community). However, there should be a more convenient solution. We should be able to:

- Find/replace parts of a message.

- Specify, which tools messages to modify.

- Change the message type.

- Change the order of the messages in the results window, to prioritise the critical ones.

- Pick which messages cannot be hidden by "xxx more errors not displayed".

This would especially help for macros, as sometimes we have a specific tool failing within a macro and producing a non-user friendly message.

0 Likes

Hi Team,

Context - I have bunch of documents/pdf or word document. The management would like to get the summarized view of the document / paragraph . Is it possible to develop some App which can take the document/ paragraph and summarize it in a line or two.

Please let me know,

Thanks,

Sri

Currently the install of AIS is tied to a specific version of Designer. However due to the feature changes being brought to AIS it would be great to be able to upgrade the AIS install separate to the version of Designer.

It might be that this is only possible for a certain number releases, due to underlying dependencies such as python version, but it would be great for example that I could get the newer AIS features without needing to upgrade Designer (which is set by IT policy).

Hi everyone! I have been trying to find a way to do this without creating a new idea, but I have decided to make it an official 'Idea' to see if there is anyone else that might appreciate a feature like this (or has found there own way to do it!)

Do your workflows look like this...

cable mgmt idea (before).png

but you wish they could look like this?

cable mgmt idea (after).png

Well... they can with your help!

Okay, I might be crazy...but its worth a shot.

While I understand this is an extremely niche issue, in my experience, it can become very difficult to trace the data through unmanaged lines in large workflows. I think it will be great to cable manage canvas lines so workflows are easier to follow. Heck, while I am already at it, I think it we should all start calling these canvas lines cables... They don't carry electricity, but they sure do carry data!

Here is an example I created in Alteryx using select tools and containers:

alteryx cable mgmt idea.png

There are circumstances where the python install section of Alteryx fails - however it does not report failure - in fact it reports success, and the only way to check if the Jupyter install fails is to check the Jupyter.log to look for error messages.

Can we add two features to Alteryx install / platform to manage this:

- If the installer for Python fails - please can you make this explicit in feedback to the user

- Can we also add a way for the user to repair the Python install - either using standard MSI Repair functionality, or a utility or a menu system in Designer.

Thank you 

Sean

Ability to color the connector lines to symbolize a path or data. This would help when you have multiple sources into a Join to determine that a path is still the same set of data when you have multiple paths created.

I am working with complex workflows which use multiple files as input, located on network drives. Input tools are Input Data, Directory, Wildcard Input, Wildcard XLSX Input (from CReW macros).

Regularly, I experience very slow Designer when working on the workflows (Window freezes for quite some time), especially when working from home. Switching off Auto Configure did not really help because I the column list sometimes does not converge even after pressing F5 multiple times, and when actively working on workflows, I have to press F5 all the time...

To improve this issue, I would like to propose a "Disable Auto Configure of File Inputs" which would not watch the loaded files but still would update the configurations downstream. This could include to not check automatically whether Macro files on network drives have changed. F5 could be used to update all configurations manually.

haraldharders_0-1666874247520.png

I am working with complex workflows which use multiple files as input, located on network drives. Input tools are Input Data, Directory, Wildcard Input, Wildcard XLSX Input (from CReW macros).

Regularly, I experience very slow Designer when working on the workflows, and slow progress when running the tools mentioned above, especially when working from home. Switching off Auto Configure did not really help because I the column list sometimes does not converge even after pressing F5 multiple times, and when actively working on workflows, I have to press F5 all the time...

In order to speed up both working on workflows and running the workflows, I would like to propose a function "Cache all File Inputs" which loads and caches all file inputs at once. To achieve this state, I now have Cache and Run workflow once per every file input.

Hello!
I like to annotate my workflows when finished, and it can be a bit of a pain to add more and more comment tools by searching for them, or going through the current right-click menu:

TheOC_0-1666797918460.png

What would be nice is the option to right click anywhere on the canvas, and have the option of 'add comment', similar to how we have the option for 'add container' when selecting tools on the canvas.

Cheers!

0 Likes

Hi,

I would love it if; when I select cells/ columns or anything really, from the results window (see pic), that it shows me a number count for what I selected please.

Thank you! 😁

MH_0-1666796713806.png

A simple quality of life improvement that I would love, is the ability to rename the output of the transpose tool in its configuration, rather than only having 'Name' and 'Value' 

Would just let me drop the renaming of these fields afterwards :)

Currently : the "Label" element in the Interface Designer Layout View is a single line text input.

Why could it be impoved : the "Label" element is often used to add a block of text in an analytical application interface. And adding a block of text in a single line text input is **staying polite** quite the struggle.

Solution : make this single line text input a text box just like the formula editor.

Hi 

I think its super frustrating not beeing able to search for dates, or date ranges in the result window.

Lets say I have a dataset with 2 dates, date picked up and date delivered.

Then I need to search broad in the result window, for a given date. With search in both coloumns.

Could we please have a simple specific date search, and maybe a from-to date? Like in the filter?

Or go all the way and look at excel date filter?

Hamder83_0-1666335415575.png

Hamder83_1-1666335552747.png

Kind regards

For years, Alteryx would gracefully rename conflicting field names. It would issue a warning and that's it.

We recently upgraded from 2019.4 to 2022.1.1.30961 and now an error is produced:

Oops!

The field X was renamed conflicting with an existing field name

I searched for "rename" in every release notes version applicable and I do not see this. Is it a bug? Is it a feature?

We have an Alteryx server with thousands of workflows built by dozens of users with varying skill levels. This is a tremendous amount of work to go through and fix all the failing workflows.

Please help me understand this change because there was seemingly no warning and now we are scrambling.

I can be picky about how my workflows are laid out.  Oftentimes, the connector between tools has a "mind of its own" as to what direction it goes and how it crosses other objects.  I'd like to see the ability to control the connector lines with "elbows" that can be positioned in custom locations and directions, like an MS Visio diagram. Alternatively, add a simple "pin" tool could be added to the canvas and it's only function is to take in and send out a connector line by defining the input and output location.  The input and output locations could be defined angularly/radial in degrees, for example.  Image attached below of existing workflow with a "troublesome" connector and the concept of "elbows" and "pins" added as an alternate control mechanism.  Both would be great!  :)

In a similar vein to the forthcoming enhancement of being able to disable a specific output tool, my idea is to have the inverse where you can globally disable all outputs and then enable specific ones only. This should help reduce the number of clicks required/avoid workarounds using containers to obtain this functionality and allow users to be very specific in which outputs run and don't run as required.

0 Likes

Salesforce Connector:

I just want to see what credentials I have used. I do not want to change them. A link to "view the data" and not only "Change Credentials"  would be helpful.

Also, when replacing connectors (due to a version change), it makes sense not to reassign the objects and fields and keep the old settings.

Top Liked Authors