The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Featured Ideas

0 Likes

I have a workflow that accepts 4 different sets of inputs.

It also has four different outputs.  However, I can easily output to separate files in four containers and just close the containers that don't pertain to the input.

On the input side, I keep having to delete the connections and connect the desired input.

I would like to connect multiple files to one tool and have the tool only work if only one of the inputs it's live.  Through the use of containers you would then choose which input was live.

0 Likes

Hi Team,

The data set has 2 columns with missing data, 

Amount

If the user wants to impute the

missing values in Amount column with '$0"  and

missing values in Age column with "mode",

it would be nice to have a single imputation tool to perform this. 

Please let me know your thoughts. 

Thanks

0 Likes
Please add the ability to minimize Alteryx during loading as well as minimize the app. I would like to do other tasks while Alteryx is loading. However, it operates as its more important than other applications and can not be minimized. Additionally, it would be nice to hide/minimize the app.
0 Likes

I think it would be really useful to add bearing in degrees to the Find Nearest Tool. While the cardinal direction is helpful for context, it would be great to have finer detail than just the 8 options.

0 Likes

Would be interested if it was possible to turn off individual output tools individually rather than also disabling tools that write output, as it would be good to choose which output tools can write output, instead of placing them in a tool container for all of the output tools.

0 Likes

Why don't Alteryx build an "Designer extended edition"?

An Alteryx designer download that contains every available 

• R package and
  • Python package available in the universe to date of release...

all you can eat.png

0 Likes

Hello Altyerx Community, 

I wish there was a 1 page PDF that would list all the Alteryx Keyboard Shortcuts.  Save time and effort.  Anyone else agree? 

Keyboard Shortcuts @PaulT posted:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Keyboard-Shortcuts-in-Alteryx/ta-p/1188

I wish it would be similar to the document that @ianwi posted: 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Getting-Started-Resources/Designer-Cheat-Sheet/ta-p/371793#bottom

IanWi, would you be interested in creating this? If so, thank you in advance! 

Regards, 

Ryan Loshin 

0 Likes

I notice that at least my Output files are tied up "being used by another program" after the workflow is closed.  I have to actually close out of Alteryx to release the file.  The file s/b released as soon as the workflow using it is done running.  Failing that, as soon as the workflow is closed vs having to close Alteryx completely.

...or is this just my issue?

0 Likes

in a scenario where i pass multiple files to the download tool (to upload to an FTP server), the data in the workflow gets cut off with the message "ended by a downstream tool". This leads to me only uploading one file (out of the two I am trying to upload).

based on community posts, this seems to be because i am not outputting anything in the workflow or do not have any browses (browses are automatically turned off because I am using Crew Macro's List Runner)

BUG: the download tool should count as an output tool because it is indeed outputting. 

BUG 2: if browses are disabled but they exist in the workflow, it should still create all the records.

0 Likes

Hello,

I think replacement in Formula tool should work a little different. Now the tool recognize Column variable because it is in square brackets. When you:

1, select not whole text with brackets

2. click on the Columns and Constants and select one

you get an error like in the attached files.

In my opinion, however you click on a variable in editor (regardless of what you've selected), when you select a column or a constant, it should be fully replaced without parsing error.

Best,

Piotr

0 Likes

In the Visual Layout Tool, is it possible to improve the naming capabilities?

Upstream in the workflow I named tables. 

However, in the Visual Layout Tool, Tables are listed as 1,2,3 despite the names assigned earlier. 

With several tables, it is difficult to keep track.

Tables.JPG

0 Likes

When i have a lot of columns in a database and I don't know the specific name of a column, it gets difficult to find it inside the select and summarize tool, for example. If you include a browser inside the most used tools, it would be easier to identify the columns and reduce time. Thanks for your time.

0 Likes

I have been working in some large files where I end up wanting to highlight several tools that are connected together, copy them, paste them and what to insert all at the same time in the same order into another section of my workflow and still have the tools around it connect the way things work when you are dragging in one tool at a time. This would save a lot of time of having to delete connections, drag tools out to make room for the ones I want to add and then reconnect everything back together again. I perform this sort of  thing on a regular basis and it adds time when I am trying to save time by connecting the same series of tools I was just using.

0 Likes

I like the concept of the Interactive charts tool but it seems overtly cumbersome to use when you are trying to perform simple changes to a line graph.  The chart tool was much easier.  I like the direction the interactive tool is going but I should not have to edit the tools xml to display point values on a line graph.

0 Likes
Spoiler

It would be great if the Drivetime could be increased to an hour - or even more.

0 Likes

Hello Team,

If we have the flexibility to add new formula any where in the formula tool not just at the bottom of the existing formula's that would be great.

Right now after development if there is change and an additional formula is required which will be input for existing formulas in Formula tool then effort to change is high, if we have the flexibility to add formula at any place in formula tool then the effort will be less.

Alternate Solution : Add one more formula tool before the existing formula tool and include the new formula but i

think if the formula tool has the flexibility to add formula anyplace possible that would be great.

Thank You,

Visali

0 Likes

In this blog post http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/2019/06/alteryx19-nashville-we-turned-it-up-to.html, Mark mentioned there is report of Runner macros not working correctly on Windows 10 Enterprise. So I decided to create test workflows to reproduce this error. I've attached 4 files, which you'll need to download and place in a folder to reproduce this error.

Here is the error I produced. The ListRunnerDriver.yxmd goes into an infinite loop.

Alteryx Designer error messages.jpg

Here is the state of the folder is when I aborted the ListRunnerDriver.yxmd.

project folder state after aborting ListRunnerDriver.yxmd.jpg

I wasn’t able to reproduce this error with 1 child workflow, which isn’t how we use List Runner macro. So if you did your testing with 1 child workflow, you would not have seen an error.

After I added a 2nd child workflow is when the error occurred, which is how we typically use List Runner macro, more than 1 child workflows.

NB: I used only List Runner and Log Parser macros from the Crew Macros Pack. 

Steps to reproduce the errors:

1. Create a folder

2. Copy all attached files in say folder.

3. Open ListRunnerDriver.yxmd

4. Run ListRunnerDriver.yxmd.

5. Look for errors.

ListRunnerChild.yxmd and ListRunnerChild2.yxmd each are a simple workflow with 2 tools: Text Input and Output tools. They write to 2 different Excel workbooks. In this case, only the ListRunnerChild.yxmd produced an output.

When List Runner macro tried to run ListRunnerChild2.yxmd is when the infinite loop started.

The ListRunnerDriver.Log.xlsx has the messages, but in this case, with the infinite loop and errors, this output is never written.

0 Likes

Right now as far as I know you need to add each DB connection manually. This works... but is quite time consuming when trying to run tasks against a cluster of prod databases. It would be awesome to pass a JSON config file,example below, to the Alteryx Engine and have Alteryx create those connections upon parsing the file. This would save tons of time, and allow teams to share a central config file with consistent aliases across their clusters to ensure their app connections point to the same DBs across workflows. It would also make on boarding a breeze for new developers on team.

Alteryx-DB-Config.png

0 Likes

In version 2018.1 there was a known issue with the profile visualization for numeric data (y-axis wasn't in order). When that issue occurred, there was also a change to the box & whisker plot.

It used to be that the B&W plot was based on the Mean, but when the issue occurred it was replace with the Median.

It appears that the y-axis order issue has been fixed, however the B&W plot is still based on the Median. Since a B&W plot is always the same for a Median perspective (the Median is ALWAYS in the middle), a plot based on the Mean is much more informative of what the data looks like.

It would be great if the profiling visualization could be reverted back to using the Mean instead of the Median.

0 Likes

Sometimes, when I am working with new data sources, it would be nice to have a dockable pane that would allow me to view the schema of all of my connected data sources. That way I could rename fields and change data types as needed without having to jump from one select tool to the other to see how the schemas compare.

Top Liked Authors