The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Custom Functions

I have been developing and accumulating custom functions over the years and they have proved to be very useful.  I am submitting these here.  I hope they are found to be beneficial.

Functions included in the attached file include:

• DateTime
    • StandardDate(String) - Transforms any valid string to the standard date format yyyy-mm-dd
  • File
    • FileDirDepth(Path) - Returns the zero based depth of the path (zero being the root)
    • FileGetFolder(Path, Depth) - Returns the folder name given the zero based depth in the path (zero being the root)
  • String
    • LeftPart(String, Separator) - Returns the left part of a string up to the first separator
    • RightPart(String, Separator) - Returns the right part of a string after the first separator
    • Split(String, Delimiter, Index) - Returns the zero indexed part of a delimited string
    • CleanSpace(String) - Trims string and replaces multiple spaces with a single space
    • UnicodeToASCIIBasic(String) - Replaces all Unicode Characters with ASCII Basic equivalents
  • Test
    • InList(Variable, List) - If Variable is in List returns True. List must be pipe delimited
    • IsValidEmail(String) - Returns True if string is a valid email format
    • IsUUID(String) - Returns True if string is a valid UUID

To make these functions available in Alteryx, place the attached xml file in the folder C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\FormulaAddIn if you have a standard installation. If the install is non-standard, find the \bin\RuntimeData\FormulaAddIn folder and place the attached xml file there.  Ateryx will need a restart for the functions to be available.

15 Comments
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @BetterFerret  - not sure if you've met @jdunkerley79 - but he has also developed a rich set of additional functions which are part of a package called Abacus.

https://jdunkerley.co.uk/2019/04/09/an-overview-of-the-alteryx-abacus-add-in/ 

Seems that you have a shared passion for this kind of work - may be worth collaborating?

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Very useful suggestions! These will make life so much more easy for non-tech users of Designer.

DrewCroft
7 - Meteor

I need a function like Split() and can use that in my local installation for Designer.  Is it possible to implement these functions for the server?

BetterFerret
8 - Asteroid

@DrewCroft 
These functions will work on any machine that Alteryx is installed on.  Just follow the instructions on where to place the FerretFunctions.xml file.
Cheers

Karben_Mejia
5 - Atom

@BetterFerret

I downloaded the xml, put it on the 

Karben_Mejia_0-1676479794792.png

folder

I restarted Alteryx, and I even restarted my laptop.

still does not work. What am I doing wrong?

Karben_Mejia_1-1676479869573.png

BetterFerret
8 - Asteroid

@Karben_Mejia Is it possible that you have 2 versions of Alteryx installed?  Alteryx does not usually install to a versioned folder name like Alteryx2020.3

Karben_Mejia
5 - Atom

Yes, I looked for the exe and found out it is installed in other place.

Your split function works like a charm

thank you

BetterFerret
8 - Asteroid

Glad I could help

Karben_Mejia
5 - Atom

Have you ever worked in something like FindString but with a third parameter to search for other instances of the string rather than only the first one?