The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Connect Ideas

Share your Connect product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Duplicated Assets

In a large environment- especially an analytical environment - copies of data will often appear in multiple places.    an example of this is where a copy of a shared dimension or a shared piece of reference data is copied in multiple different data marts.

In order to manage this - we need to be able to mark these as copies of each other so that we can point folk to the golden-source; and so that we don't need to document this asset multiple different times.

Example:

- Client List appears in the data lake; on the Sales data mart; on the Finance data mart; etc

- We would want to group all 3 of these together; and mark the Data Lake version as the master; and all the others as copies.

User experience:

• When I navigate to any Sales assets - it tells me that the Client List is a data asset which is used
  • When i click on this - it tells me that the sales version is a copy - and directs me to the one on the data lake

NOTE: There are circumstances where a copy may be deliberately filtered or incomplete (for example - regional subsets of clients) - in this case the relationship needs to be "Partial Copy" not "Copy"

CC: @DavidM @Arianna_Fuller

2 Comments
VojtechT
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Under Review

Samanthaj_hughes
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

This is absolutely brilliant and in any data linage tool being able highlight what is a copy of a source and golden (master), is a must for any organisation.