Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Error: "The system could not find the environment option that was entered" when running chained workflows in Designer

ChristopherT
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

Environment Details

Running chained workflows in Designer produces the following error using Run Command in workflow events:

C:\Generic Folder\Scripts\.bat" returned an error code: 2: The system could not find the environment option that was entered. (203)

• Alteryx Designer + Scheduler
    • Version: all
  • Chained Workflows / Apps

Cause

1. Utilizing AlteryxEngineCmd.exe to run workflows via Command Line requires an addition to the Alteryx root path in your Path System Variables on your local machine.
  2. Running chained workflows in Designer, each workflow version (Designer version to create a workflow) need to be the same.

Resolution

1. On the machine that is running the workflow go to the Windows search bar and type sysdm.cpl and press Enter.

2. On the new window, click the Advanced tab and then click the Environment Variables button.

idea Skyscrapers

3. Under the System Variables section, locate the PATH variable and then click on Edit.

idea Skyscrapers

4. In the Edit environment variables window, click the New button to create a new line at the bottom of the list and paste or enter the following default path:

C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin

idea Skyscrapers

5. Click OK on all remaining windows and reboot the machine for changes to take effect.

Note, please check workflow version and see all workflows executed by event are identical.
You can check .yxmd file in text editor and check the second line of the XML code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="2020.4">

Additional Resources

Comments
kinjalshah
5 - Atom

hello,

I have used Event to run workflow inside another workflow with following Configurations:

Run Event When: After Run

Command: E:\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxEngineCmd.exe

Command Arguments: "E:\WF2.yxmd"

I did all the above steps you have mentioned but I still getting the same error.
"Error: Designer x64: The Designer x64 reported: Error running Event #1: The external program "E:\Alteryx\bin\AlteryxEngineCmd.exe" returned an error code: 2: The system could not find the environment option that was entered. (203)""

Can you please help me?
Thanks in advance!!

ColleenH218
8 - Asteroid

Just want to chime in and "second" what the above commenter said...I'm still getting this error despite applying the path as described. Any assistance would be appreciated!

Thank you

PaulNo
10 - Fireball

Hi @ColleenH218  and @kinjalshah,

Did you solve your issue in the end? 

Could you confirm that you have used your actual Alteryx directory, on step 4., instead of:

C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin

For example, based on your message, @kinjalshah, you would need to use the following path:

E:\Alteryx\bin

Kind regards,

PaulN