Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Error: "Must declare the scalar variable '@var_name'" when running PL/SQL in Pre or Post SQL Statement Section

gtorres8
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

Environment Details

Putting a PL/SQL block of code into the Pre or Post SQL Statement section of the Input Data tool and the following error occurs:

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Used][SQL Server]Must declare the scalar variable "@var_name"

• Designer
    • All 
  • ODBC Drivers
    • ODBC 11, 13, 17
  • SQL Server
    • All
  • Scalar variable

Cause

Using scalar PL/SQL code as an anonymous block is not supported. Any time multiple semi-colons are required in the PL/SQL code; for example, needed scalar variables and using CTE queries will not work in the Pre or Post SQL Statement editor.

Resolution

Create a Stored procedure and then reference the procedure in the Pre or Post SQL Statement section by using the EXEC <proc_name> command.

Example of how to set the anonymous block as a stored procedure in SQL Server:

Anonymous Block:

DECLARE @SOMEUSER NVARCHAR(15), @AGE INTEGER = (select age from Persons where ID = 1)

DELETE FROM [dbo].[Customer] WHERE ( [Last_Name]=@SOMEUSER );

WITH CTE AS (
        SELECT [First_Name], [Last_Name]
        FROM [dbo].[Customer]
        WHERE ( [Cust_ID] = @AGE )
    )

Select * into table_bday from CTE;

Stored Procedure: (Add the code in green)

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[CTE_PROC_CUST]
AS
BEGIN

DECLARE @SOMEUSER NVARCHAR(15), @AGE INTEGER = (select age from Persons where ID = 1)

DELETE FROM [dbo].[Customer] WHERE ( [Last_Name]=@SOMEUSER );

WITH CTE AS (
        SELECT [First_Name], [Last_Name]
        FROM [dbo].[Customer]
        WHERE ( [Cust_ID] = @AGE )
    )

Select * into table_bday from CTE;

END

Additional Information

Comments
Samanthaj_hughes
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Years back I had this issue and created a macro in which I wrote the pre or post sql with an action tool and updated it with a formula dynamically in flow. I like what you have done here, I think I also tagged in some stored procs in SQL Server too. Its been a while and seeing this post has made me want to try it again. Cheers 🍻 

Mitch_S
7 - Meteor

I do not have write permissions on the server I am trying to query, but your solution gave me the idea of writing the data to a temp table instead of using DECLARE/SET. It worked!