Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Modified 'Block Until Done'

It would be nice to improve upon the 'Block Until Done' tool.

Additional Features I could see for this tool:

1: Allow Any tool (even output) to be linked as an incoming connection to a 'Block Until Done' tool.  

2: Allow Multiple Tools to be linked to a 'Block Until Done' tool. (similar to the 'Union' tool)

The functionality I see for this is to enable Alteryx set the Order of Operation for workflows and Allowing people to automate processes in the same way that people used to do them. I understand there's a work around using Crew Macros (Runner/Conditional Runner) that can essentially accomplish this;  howerver (and I may be wrong).  But it feels like a work around, instead of the tool working the way one would expect; and I'm loosing the ability to track/log/troubleshoot my workflow as it progresses (or if it has an issue)

Happy to hear if something like that exists.  Just looking for ways to ensure order of operation is followed for a particular workflow I am managing. 

Thanks,

Randy

3 Comments
BobSnyder85
8 - Asteroid

This illustrates my problem pretty easily and I think adds on to original poster's issue / solution.

The Block Until Done tool should have an equal amount of input/outputs, with the tool dynamically adding a 4th, 5th, 6th, etc connections for order of operations. 

The tool currently is map to assume that you would only want to use the Inner Join result of a flow, but with joins happening downstream on specific sets of data they are also used as a test and provide relevant results.

For example, the data that is passing into my join is already a specific subset of customers:

Left Join =  Customer transactions who had sales but didn't use a program

Inner Join =  Customer transactions who had sales and reported a program

Right Join = Programs that are not being used.

This is all very actionable data, now my next step is to put this in one file, but under 3 tabs, for "Customers with Programs" and send it out for review. 

This tool could also add the ability to "shut down" flows temporarily much like we do with containers, but without added clutter.

Picture below for clarity. 

example.png

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Inactive

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx

The status of this idea has been changed to 'Inactive'. This status indicates that:

1. The idea has not had activity in the form of likes or comments in over a year.

2. The idea has not reached ten likes.

3. The idea is still in the 'New Idea' status. 

However, this doesn't mean your idea won't be implemented! The Community can still like and comment on this idea. With enough renewed interest, this idea can be brought back into the 'New Idea' status. 

Thank you for contributing to the Alteryx Community and the Alteryx Product Idea Boards!