Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Fix INDB Filter with NULLs to match behavior of In-Memory Filter

Unlike In-Memory Filter tool, the IN-DB Filter Tool does not process the NULL unless by default specified.

This results in the loss of data without warning.

I suggest you either fix it to match the in-memory filter, or display a warning somewhere, this creates many data quality issues...

NULL entry is NOT included!NULL entry is NOT included!NULL entry is includedNULL entry is included

4 Comments
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

hey @fpinchon 

cc: @bora_perusic 

I agree with your thinking - that null should behave the same whether you filter in-DB or not.

That being said - there is a reason (even if this doesn't satisfy your request which is completely reasonable).    Within SQL databases - null should fail all comparisons by definition because Null is essentially "not defined".   So null would fail the = filter; and technically null should also fail the != filter.   This is one of the things that always catches folk in SQL because it's not intuitive.

I've copied Bora on this - Bora has been looking at how to bring the InDB and the on-canvas tooling together for a while - he may have some thoughts on this one.

bora_perusic
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks a lot, @SeanAdams . 

Yes, it's the small issues like this that make the convergence of the standard tools and In-DB tools both desirable and difficult. 

There is no easy way to change the behavior of the In-DB tools for such things; in the In-DB tools the filters and formulas are "SQL language" while for normal tools they are in "Alteryx language"; and although they might look deceptively similar, their behavior might be different.

We are indeed thinking of a better way of translating the Alteryx workflows into SQL, but we have not really moved beyond PoC state yet. 

I will think about what we can do here. Thank you, @fpinchon , for the idea.

Bora

fpinchon
8 - Asteroid

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE INDB tools, they are major productivity boosters. Even just a warning would be nice, because when I first transitioned from in-memory workflow, that issue tripped me so bad before I finally figured out what was going on...

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Not Planned

At this time we are unable to include this idea in our near future roadmap due to competing priorities; as such we're updating it to Not Planned. However, should this change or we become able to return to this idea in the future we'll be sure to update the status.