Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Default Anchor View

Dear GUI Gurus,

A minor, but time saving GUI enhancement would be appreciated.  When adding a tool to the canvas, the current behavior is to make visible the tool anchor that was last used on prior tools.  That being said, when I look at the results window, I might be adding a "vanilla" configuration tool to the canvas and stare at a BLANK results window.  When users are adding tools to the canvas, I suggest that the best practice is to VIEW the incoming data before configuring the tool.

I ALWAYS set the results to view the INCOMING DATA ANCHOR.

This minor change would be welcome to me.

Cheers,

Mark

4 Comments
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Very curious about this one @MarqueeCrew - are you able to give more detail on this or possibly a worked example?

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@SeanAdams,

Here is more narrative and pictures:

capture1.png

I start out with a Text Input tool and of course the default for anchor view is output.  I then add a SELECT tool (for the purpose of resizing the data) and check the output anchor after I run the workflow.

capture2.png

Now the output anchor is activated and I can see the data after configuration of my tool.  Next I want to Filter the data.  I could be using a formula or other tool as well.  But when I drop the next tool onto the canvas it holds the OUTPUT anchor as what is displayed.  I would prefer to see the input anchor whenever I drop a new tool onto the canvas.

capture3.png

When I configure tools, I like to view the input data.  I always look at the input data when configuring a new tool.  OK, not always but whenever a formula or expression is needed.

Cheers,

Mark

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Makes sense Mark - especially as the platform moves to being more capable at configuring tools using the results window to do live data prep.

+1

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes