Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Add List-Based Mode to Dynamic Select

A seemingly minor task that has popped up several times on my team is the ability to select a subset of columns using an input list.  Different people have achieved this in different ways (transpose/join/cross-tab, dynamic rename/select), but it seems like a common enough task to warrant a single-tool solution. 

R has a simple way to do this:

# create a vector of the columns we would like to select
columns <- c("column_b", "column_d")

# subset based on the column names we defined in our "columns" vector
df_subset <- df[columns]

We have built a macro to achieve this (attached), but I would love if there was a second input anchor on the Dynamic Select tool, with list-based select mode as an option in the dropdown.  

The macro currently has a minor annoyance, where the user gets a "RecordInfo::CreateRecord" error presented on their palette when they choose the "Keep Columns in List" entry.  This error goes away with a run or an F5 refresh, but if anyone has a suggestion for getting rid of this, it would also be appreciated.

8 Comments
jamurphy
5 - Atom

Hi - 

Thank you for sharing this macro; I too would benefit from being able to feed a list into the Dynamic Select tool.  I have a main output with 400+ fields, of which I only need 100-200 at a time.  It would be nice to have the ability to update an Excel file of what I want so that I can more easily re-run without having to manually go through a select tool and check/uncheck fields.

jlefeaux
8 - Asteroid

a second input anchor on the Dynamic Select tool, with list-based select mode as an option in the dropdown.

Yes, please

jlefeaux
8 - Asteroid

+1!

Gayatree
6 - Meteoroid

" a second input anchor on the Dynamic Select tool, with list-based select mode as an option in the dropdown." 

^ Yes, please. We'd very much like that.

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

PLEASE, I beg you, please add this feature.

Josh_Metro
7 - Meteor

such a useful macro! thanks!

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

basubb
5 - Atom

Adding my vote. It is weird for an advanced tool such as this to make us jump hoops to validate the order of fields for various reasons.

Thanks

Basu