Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Include Username in Workflow

NickC
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

I recently came across a customer who was asking how to include their local username within the workflow results. So here is a post showing how it can be done.

Option 1

Definitions of functions straight from https://help.alteryx.com/current/Reference/Functions.htm

Function Definition: ‘GetEnvironmentVariable(Name): Returns the environment variable specified in Name. To get a list of environment variables, go to Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Environment Variables. A list of system variables appears. Any value from this can be used.’

Formula: GetEnvironmentVariable("USERNAME")

NickC_0-1581528046186.png

Option 2

A colleague of mine showed that the GetEnvironmentVariable wasn’t always around and that he used to pull this data from the Registry. So I thought I would include that in here as well:

Function Definition: ‘ReadRegistryString(Key, ValueName, DefaultValue="): Returns a value from the registry.’

Formula: ReadRegistryString('HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Volatile Environment', 'USERNAME')

NickC_1-1581528046191.png

Comments
matthewbechard
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the info.  I used this code in a different way.  See this article.