The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Formulas - "ingest" existing field name into syntax

This should be for all tools where formulas can be written and should work for all formulas as well, but I will give you my specific pain point as a easy to understand example.

When I write any formula where I am using CONTAINS, i am always thinking through the issue and writing the formula at the same time so I think [Name] contains "Test"

and I write [Name] and have to go back and add the CONTAINS before it, but when you do that instead of automatically wrapping itself around the field it does this:

Contains(String, Target)[Name] 

Can we get an enhancement that sees if you are writing a formula up against a FieldName it will automatically "ingest" the field name into the syntax and leave you with something like this:

Contains([Name] , Target)

That will leave all the other variables which still need to be completed, but it will save time of having to clean up the text of the formula itself.

****Hopefully this makes sense.  If you need me to expand on this, let me know.  Otherwise hopefully other folks feel my pain and can add their commentary in here as well.

Thanks

2 Comments
Rags1982
10 - Fireball

Hi @DanielG  Agree completely. 

To add to your idea, one thing that I always wanted was if I start to type a formula like you would say it in your head, or like in your example, it would auto-complete. 

So, for instance, if I start to write '[Field] contains', then it would auto-complete after pressing tab to: Contains([Field],"

This could also work for similar formulas such as 'StartsWith, EndsWith' etc. 

DanielG
12 - Quasar

Yes,  @Rags1982 -- that is what happens to me!  I write it as I think it, then have to go back and adjust.  haha.  Thanks for adding that in here.  😊