Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Cache tool

A cahce tool would allow a user to temporarily store a snapshot of inline data from previous run of the module.

Imagine a browse tool that was inline as opposed to a terminus tool (input and output). Now allow that browse tool to persist its data after a run of the module. When an option on that tool was activated, it would block all of the dependent tools upstream from it and instead send its cached data downstream.

The reason I think this would be a useful tool is that I often come to the end of creating a module when I'm working on the Reporting tools. I run multiple times to see the changes I've made. When the module has a lot of incoming data and complex data transformations, it can take a long time just to get to the point where the data gets to the reporting tools. This cache tool would eliminate that wait.
6 Comments
gioel_molinari
7 - Meteor
This would be a tremendous enhancement to alteryx. The ability to select any node in the workflow and 'run from here' in a way that uses the last runs intermediate outputs would allow for incremental execution of alteryx flows. When using alteryx to build data cleansing solutions this is a big factor when the datasets are large and take a long time (hours) to produce. When corrections are made to the data it is necessary for efficiency to insert them into the data flow without starting from the very beginning of the process.
TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Have you seen the Cache Macro from one of our Content Engineers @MacRo - check out the blog post here: http://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/The-Cache-Dataset-Macro/ba-p/3162

adrianloong
11 - Bolide

The cache macro is good however is it possible to have "caching" at a container level so the dataset is held in "memory" ready for the next process to run almost immediately?

eg: If i am sorting a large dataset eg: TB datasets within alteryx and i have 5 containers (if i make change to container 4 and press run , it will start running from container 3) as all the other calcs have been cached. Currently i am writing out to yxdb to achieve this.

Alternatively you can "lasso" around the container u want to run and it will remember and cache all results up till that point so only run the incremental changes.

BenG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Accepted

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Coming Soon

Thanks for the feedback @jhollingsworth! We're releasing a version of caching in the upcoming 2018.3 release, which allows you to right-click on a tool in the workflow and create a cache temp file. Next time the workflow is run, it would start at that cache.

Stay tuned! I'd love to hear what you all think once you get a chance to play with the new feature.

AlexKo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented

Caching's live in 2018.3!

Thanks for pushing this one up on the priority list for us. We hope it will help streamline your workflow development and rapid prototyping use cases.