The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Bracket counter; pretty-format; and intellitext in formulae and SQL

Hi all,

In the formula tool and the SQL editors, it would be great to have a simple bracket matcher (like in some of the good SQL tools or software IDEs) where if you higlight a particular open bracket, it highlights the accompanying close bracket for you.   That way, I don't have to take my shoes and socks off to count all the brackets open and brackets closed if I've dropped one 🙂

It would also be great if we could have a right-click capability to format formulae nicely.   Aqua Data Studio does a tremendous job of this today, and I often bring my query out of Atlteryx, into Aqua to format, and then pop it back.

Change:

if X then if a then b else c endif else Z

To:

if   X

Then  

if A

then B

Else C

else Z

Endif

or Change from 

Select A,B from table c inner join d on c.ID = D.ID where C.A>10

to

Select

A

,B

From

Table C

Inner Join D

on C.ID = D.ID

Where

C.A>10

Finally - intellitext in all formulae and SQL editing tools - could we allow the user to bring up intellitext (hints about parameters, with click-through to guidance) like it works in Visual Studio?

Thank you

Sean

4 Comments
RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@SeanAdams Thanks so much for the feedback. We're always looking for ways to make our expression editor easier to used. We'll take these suggestions under consideration. 

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

:-) no worries at all - I've built this kind of thing before in a past life, so let me know (by PM) if I can help?

Nezrin
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

This would be so so helpful!
And you don’t have to double check your query in another SQL editor and paste in Alteryx , rather directly create if Alteryx can highlight any obvious errors or missing brackets 

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes