The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Add Product to Summarize tool

I would love to see a "Product" option added to the summarize tool. I can currently count, sum, mean etc., but I can't multiply my data while grouping. There are numerous "work arounds", but a native product function built into the summarize tool would be great.

Thanks for listening!

16 Comments
NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Coming Soon

Stay tuned, coming soon! 😁

gondalaprasad
6 - Meteoroid

##

EnglishmaninNY
8 - Asteroid

No one figured out a work around?

EnglishmaninNY
8 - Asteroid

I'm obviously talking to myself but just in case this help anyone...

So my work around is to use concatenation and getword() function. This will be even better if used with an iterative macro but I have got there yet.

Use the summarize tool to:

- group by as you normally would

- then concatenate the numbers, using a space separator, on the field you want the product of

Then use a formula tool with getword() function to multiply the numbers in the concatenated string. The cool thing with this solution is that you could use a different operator e.g. power.

Screenshot 2023-09-22 170744.png

(- I added a count in the summarize tool to make the formula easier but you could equally count the space in the formula and obviously an iterative macro would probably make this unnecessary and would also avoid the x limit of rows.

if [NameCombCount]=1 then
ToNumber([Concat_FrequencyFraction])
Elseif [NameCombCount]=2 then
ToNumber(Getword([Concat_FrequencyFraction], 0)) * ToNumber(Getword([Concat_FrequencyFraction], 1))
Elseif [NameCombCount]=3 then
ToNumber(Getword([Concat_FrequencyFraction], 0)) * ToNumber(Getword([Concat_FrequencyFraction], 1)) * ToNumber(Getword([Concat_FrequencyFraction], 2))
Elseif [NameCombCount]=4 then
ToNumber(Getword([Concat_FrequencyFraction], 0)) * ToNumber(Getword([Concat_FrequencyFraction], 1)) * ToNumber(Getword([Concat_FrequencyFraction], 2)) * ToNumber(Getword([Concat_FrequencyFraction], 3))
Elseif [NameCombCount]=5 then
ToNumber(Getword([Concat_FrequencyFraction], 0)) * ToNumber(Getword([Concat_FrequencyFraction], 1)) * ToNumber(Getword([Concat_FrequencyFraction], 2)) * ToNumber(Getword([Concat_FrequencyFraction], 3)) * ToNumber(Getword([Concat_FrequencyFraction], 4))
Else
endif

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

Doing some Community cleanup, and realized I missed this one back in our 23.2 release!! You can now multiply numbers using the Product aggregation option in the Summarize tool

NOTE: This new function was incredibly helpful in several of the Advent of Code challenges back in December!! Fun to see new features being so useful out in the wild 😉

Happy Alteryx-ing!

EnglishmaninNY
8 - Asteroid

I noticed and already using thanks