The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Add Keytab Support to HDFS Connection

This is the screen when trying to access HDFS through Alteryx:

Alteryx HDFS Connection

When publishing a workflow that contains the user ID and using Kerberos, one would need to login to the Alteryx server and run the MIT Kerberos Ticket Manager.

It would be a great enhacement to add the possibility to allow the users to use the keytab file to authenticate alongside the existing authentication.

So, if one checks "Use Kerberos", there would be an option text box that would allow the user to select the keytab file. That would ensure that the ticket is always valid and there is no need to login to the server to renew the kerberos ticket every day manually (!).

[-t keytab_file]

Ref: https://kb.iu.edu/d/aumh

http://web.mit.edu/Kerberos/krb5-devel/doc/user/user_commands/kinit.html

Does anyone have any workarounds?

6 Comments
jyeh
7 - Meteor

A possible workaround would be to run the following 

C:\Program Files\MIT\Kerberos\bin\kinit -k -t C:\kerberos\user.keytab principal@DOMAIN.TLD either on a Run Command tool and schedule to run periodically

aser
7 - Meteor

@jyeh I tried the way to generate a batch file, but if I executed it I get a error message.

kinit: Unsupported key table format version number while getting initial credentials

Can you paste your commangs how you created the keytab in the hadoop please

jyeh
7 - Meteor

With Alteryx v.11, this is less of an issue since Kerberos SSPI and MIT were added to the tool.

However, if you are trying to generate the keytab try the following:

$ ktutil
ktutil: addent -password -p your_id@DOMAIN.COM -k 1 -e aes256-cts
Password for your_id@DOMAIN.COM:
ktutil: addent -password -p your_id@DOMAIN.COM -k 1 -e rc4-hmac
Password for your_id@DOMAIN.COM:
ktutil: wkt your_id.keytab
ktutil: quit

aser
7 - Meteor

Thank it works for me now.

I use the option Kerberos MIT but for this option I need at first to generate a kerberos ticket or do it alteryx for me?

jyeh
7 - Meteor

Before Alteryx v.11, I used the Kerberos MIT option too. You will need to generate the ticket outside Alteryx through MIT Ticket Manager or the command to kinit as described in the prior post.

Good luck.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes