The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Community Ideas

What can we do to make your Alteryx Community experience better? Let us know!

Add a way for Idea posts to be "Solved"

Sometimes, Ideas are posted by users that have solutions or workarounds that meet the user's need.  When others in the Community respond with these suggestions, the ideas usually end up in a status of "Not Planned".

I think it would be really helpful to be able to mark these as "solved".  An example of this is the following post:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Copy-and-Paste-Data-Directly-Into-Canvas/idc-...

Here, the user posted a suggestion, and I as well as @mcarrico were able to provide suggestions that met this need.  I think marking this post as Solved could help other users who have the same thought in the future.

I also think that this might be an opportunity for an additional tag for Community ideas, either "workaround available" or "already implemented".  "Not Planned" doesn't necessarily read as well as it could in cases where a solution exists.

5 Comments
LeahK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Comments Requested

Very interesting idea and valid point!  The ability to accept an Idea Comment as a solution, isn't functionality we have available today. Even if it was, I don't think we would want to enable accepted solutions, as I'd imagine it might cause some confusion.  "This idea is solved! how come it's not in the product!" 

I really appreciate your suggestion to incorporate this instead as an idea status.  As someone who manages ideas (for the Community, not our Products 😉), I know that we (the community team) use 'Now Available' for things that have always been available, and sometimes for what some would consider a "work-around."

Curious to hear what others think?

Gopinaath
8 - Asteroid

I think it is a great idea. I think the idea comment as a solution is useful especially for long threads. Only moderators and community manager should be able to make the call to mark a comment as a solution. The conversation should be then marked as Solved and the thread closed. The solution post should then be promoted to the top of the thread so that future community members who come to the thread can get to the solution quickly. There may be multiple solutions in certain cases and the best solution should be chosen as the solution for the thread

Gopinaath
8 - Asteroid

@LeahK I see an idea status like Solved to be only available to be selected where the thread is related to a community question posted by a user looking for help on a personal Alteryx problem that they are trying to solve. This is similar to other Q&A help forums. This idea status is not applicable to product feature requests where you would use "Now Available".

We should bring the idea statuses to be more context-dependent based on the community topic groups concerned. Some statuses are more applicable to certain areas of the forum than others. Solved is an example of such an idea status

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

100% agree on this one @Claje & @Gopinaath.

I like the idea of 'workaround' as an additional tag to solution, especially in the context of ideas where the original idea should still stay live.

I'd also like the ability to like replies/sub-posts on the idea pages and I've pasted my own community idea for this here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Community-Ideas/It-should-be-possible-to-like-sub-posts-on-...

@LeahK 

WillM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Not Planned

Now that we have ideas marked as "Implemented" on a regular basis, this is going to be moved to unplanned. Adding a "Solved" label could be a bit convoluted/confusing for many since it's not necessarily a problem all the time.