The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Texdt pre-processing and Datetime Tool - Replace instead of new column

Hello!
Currently when using the DateTime and Text Pre-processing tool (I'm sure there are a few others), the default option is to have a new column as the output. For instance with DateTime:

TheOC_0-1653665348080.png

There is no option to replace original field, simply create a new field. Setting the name as the same, will result in:

TheOC_3-1653665485305.png

and with the Text-Preprocessing:
There is no option to specify an output column. The column you process, will become [field]_processed:

TheOC_1-1653665427373.png

TheOC_2-1653665434647.png

It would be awesome if both of these tools had functionality similar to the Multi-Row formula, with the ability to create a new field, or update existing field:

TheOC_4-1653665598032.png

This would reduce data redundancy and need for additional select tools. Additionally with the Text Pre-Processing tool specifically, its very easy to make the mistake of not using the 'processed' field in future text based analysis, especially when the pre-processing tool is inserted into an already built connection.

Thanks,
TheOC

3 Comments
ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I would love this feature.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@TheOC  I thought the same thing about the DateTime tool, so I made a KReW😎 (k for kenda) version of it that allows this option! I exclusively use my version of the DateTime tool for this reason. Would be great if it was built by default into the Alteryx tool, though!

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Community-Gallery/DateTime-Parse-KReW/ta-p/912063 

Kenda_0-1683132003316.png