The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Filter tool pre-populates choices

It would be awesome if the Filter tool pre-populated info from your data so you could select what you want to filter by vs having to type it into a text field. When I filter data, I sometimes don't recall the exact word I'm needing to filter by. For example, if I'm needing to filter results for all Ground Operations data in the department column, I may have to look at the data to see if it's called Ground Operations, Ground Ops, GO, etc. I find myself having to use a summarize tool to see the different words in a specific field so I know how to specify it in the filter tool. 

My proposal is that the Filter tool displays all data options in the field for which you're filtering. So, if you're filtering the department field and there's 10 different departments in your data, those departments could display as selectable options in a dropdown menu.

Here's my example:

I want to filter for "Safety & Security" in the "medtype_name" field.

megansimon_2-1682032938478.png

But, I don't remember if it is spelled with an ampersand or the word "and" or if it's abbreviated. I would have to look through the data in this column to find the specific way this word is listed so I know exactly how to write it in the filter tool. But if there are thousands of records, it would be hard to scroll through everything. So, I add a Summarize tool to group the different data points in this field. Then it is easy for me to scroll and find the one I'm looking for. Now I know exactly how to type the term into the Filter tool.

My idea is that the Filter tool does the work of the Summarize tool in that all data points in the specific field are shown in a dropdown, and you just select the one you want to filter by instead of having to write it in the text box. 

megansimon_5-1682033592165.png

I searched but didn't see this idea, so please forgive me if it's already been mentioned.

4 Comments
BenMorrison
5 - Atom

This idea for an auto-populated list of data options in the basic filter field would be convenient and save so much time.

J_OKnight
5 - Atom

Agreed! This would make building the workflow more efficient because sometimes I have to add a summarize tool to see what I'm looking for and then do a filter. Great idea!

dunlapse
5 - Atom

This would be a huge time saver.  I rely on browse tools (and often post it notes or screen caps) so much to get the exact wording of different points.  This would cut down on that and make for a much more efficient building process. 

mdam3
5 - Atom

Agreed - this would be so convenient and save a lot of time!