The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Enable auto-complete/predictive typing for connection strings when DCM is enabled

For all Alteryx versions I can remember, when entering a connection string into an input tool (e.g., "C:\Users\mbarone\Desktop\ . . . "), you could just start typing and it would auto-complete.  This is no longer the case when DCM is enabled.  This is a huge efficiency hit we're taking, and is enough for us not to enable DCM (optional or otherwise), given the fact that current workflow connection manager works just fine (meaning the "akas").

Please bring back auto-complete/predictive text when DCM is enabled.

6 Comments
vcarey
7 - Meteor

Yes auto complete is very useful!  Thanks!

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

very much agree @mbarone ,

In fact - there's a few ways that we could remove clicks from the DCM data connection process - starting with allowing users to select from a drop-down directly in the input-tool (rather than having to punch out to the DCM tool).

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Totally agree with that @SeanAdams; never been a big fan of having to exit the Input tool to get to the data.  In fact, I've been running in classic input/output mode since they changed it, and will continue to do so until we cutover to the release where they removed that option.

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Great idea - I'm currently #TeamDCM but I'm very much aware that it is not, in all cases, as easy an experience as non-DCM.

It is difficult to justify new functionality to advanced users while it is bringing QoL set-backs. 

petrl
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi, all!

I'm from the DCM team and we sure have some ideas on how to improve the overall DCM tool configuration experience on our current roadmap, but a simple autocomplete might be quite straightforward.

Is my understanding correct that you'd like to autocomplete through all known connections including all recent files, connection strings, aliases (aka's), and DCM connections? Did I miss anything?

Thanks!

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @petrl, yes, that; plus the standard windows functionality.  For example, i pull up windows explorer, and start typing a folder path like "M:\TeamMVB\ETL\Alteryx\DailyLoad" (where M is a mapped drive on my machine).  Maybe Alteryx has never "been there before", but I can start typing "M:\" and it will start to autocomplete as I type.  Again, same functionality as Windows Explorer, and the current "green" input tool prior to DCM.

This would be huge; thanks so much!!!