Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Make backup (bak) file creation optional

The bak file that is automatically created (and re-created if deleted) really clutters up our folders.

Please allow us to either turn it off, or specify a different location to hold our back up files.

Thanks

48 Comments
Inactive User
Not applicable

Totally annoying feature.  All I ever do is delete this things...  it's just one more task I don't need each day EVERY TIME I RUN DATA.  This should be a checkbox to disable in the settings somewhere, it's basic and a no brainer... MAKE IT HAPPEN.

jrj
5 - Atom

Nice to have the safety net of a BAK file, but we need the option to specify a destination folder.  Current folder looks ridiculous with all the BAKs cluttering it up.  

tonyppham
7 - Meteor

Please allow option of setting a directory for bak files. Too much clutter

Levin
6 - Meteoroid

Has there been any movement on this idea? As a user who manages multiple workflows for multiple users, I would love to specify the directory so I control the backups instead of them writing to end folders.

jagee
6 - Meteoroid

If you are looking for an easy tool to clean up your files we have a file system tool that is free to use. The pack also comes with some other useful tools.

https://www.teknionusa.com/products/alteryx

SBerube
6 - Meteoroid

I agree with all the above; please give us the option to either turn off the creation of the bak files or choose a directory where to store them. Thanks.

leonj
7 - Meteor

Agree with the idea to allow either a way to turn these off or to specify a folder. 

Jim7
8 - Asteroid

The forced backup system has never helped me once in over a year using Alteryx. Worse, I've spent a lot of time manually deleting these files every time they get created. If I want a backup, I create one myself. I don't need Alteryx cluttering my folders with unwanted backup files; please make this optional.

nrossin
8 - Asteroid

Since this request is more than 3 years old, I thought I would jump in and just say it's still an issue at the end of 2018. Please provide an option to disable the backup files or at the very least specify a different directory for them! Alteryx does such a great job of eliminating the tedium of data management, forcing us to manage extra files like this seems contrary to the purpose... :)

AndyJK
5 - Atom

Still seems to be an issue 3 years on from being raised ...
Wastes space, backups are frankly useless as any small change overwrites an important save-point, plus it breaks my OneDrive sync

Need to be able to turn this off and also make the backup location/file extension configurable