The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Featured Ideas

0 Likes

The Table tool does not allow renaming a field so that it breaks at a specific point.

Fields like "H.S. Dropouts Non-Hispanic" and "H.S. Dropouts Whites" need a forced break after Dropouts.

Now we get random breaks like

H.S. Dropouts

Non-Hispanic

H.S. Dropouts White

The Rename Field function in the Basic Table tool would be a great place to allow forced breaks.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hi,

I think it would be great if the run time of a workflow could be displayed by tool or container. This would make refining the workflow at completion a lot easier and also help with thinking of better solutions. Even cooler would be some kind of speed heat map.

Thanks

0 Likes

Idea to have the option to include the workflow "meta info" (last tab of the workflow configuration when clicking on the cavas) when printing the workflow.

The Meta Info desciption and author sections would be particularly of value. Currently on the long file name is embedded in the header.

0 Likes

Add the ability in the select records tool to use formulas not just record numbers. 

0 Likes

Many of today's APIs, like MS Graph, won't or can't return more than a few hundred rows of JSON data. Usually, the metadata returned will include a complete URL for the NEXT set of data.

Example:  https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/devices?$count=true&$top=999&$filter=(startswith(operatingSystem,'W...') or startswith(operatingSystem,'Mac')) and (approximateLastSignInDateTime ge 2022-09-25T12:00:00Z)

This will require that the "Encode URL" checkbox in the download tool be checked, and the metadata "nextLevel" output will have the same URL plus a $skiptoken=xxxxx value.  That "nextLevel" url is what you need to get the next set of rows.

The only way to do this effectively is an Iterative Macro . 

Now, your download tool is "encode URL" checked, BUT the next url in the metadata is already URL Encoded . . . so it will break, badly, when using the nextLevel metadata value as the iterative item.

So, long story short, we need to DECODE the url in the nextLevel metadata before it reaches the Iterative Output point . . . but no such tool exists.

I've made a little macro to decode a url, but I am no expert. Running the url through a Find Replace tool against a table of ASCII replacements pulled from w3school.com probably isn't a good answer.

We need a proper tool from Alteryx!

Someone suggested I use the Formula UrlEncode ability . . .

Unfortunately, the Formula UrlEncode does NOT work. It encodes things based upon a straight ASCII conversion table, and therefore it encodes things like ? and $ when it should not.  Whoever is responsible for that code in the formula tool needs to re-visit it.

Base URL: https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/devices?$count=true&$top=999&$filter=(startswith(operatingSystem,'W...') or startswith(operatingSystem,'Mac')) and (approximateLastSignInDateTime ge 2022-09-25T12:00:00Z)

Correct Encoding: 

Formula UrlEncode:

As you can see, the initial "?" was altered, as were all the "$", and the result is rejected by the http server. Also, the spaces around "and" and "or" should convert to + in this case, but I THINK the standard %20 would also work.

So, I don't know what the Download Tool is doing when it encodes, but it does a good job at it. Formula UrlEncode, while one would expect it to do the same encoding as the Download Tool, is not and therefore fails.

So, I have a couple of asks:
1. Copy the code from inside the Download Tool for Encoding and make it into a separate tool. (UrlEncode Tool, perhaps in Parse Tab?)
2. Using that copied code but in reverse, create a Url Decode Tool. (UrlDecode Tool, again - perhaps in Parse Tab?)
3. Fix the formula UrlEncode
0 Likes

HI, 

Not sure if this Idea was already posted (I was not able to find an answer), but let me try to explain.

When I am using Mongo DB Input tool to query AlteryxService Mongo DB (in order to identify issues on the Gallery) I have to extract all data from Collection AS_Result.

The problem is that here we have huge amount of data and extracting and then parsing _ServiceData_ (blob) consume time and system resources.

This solution I am proposing is to add Sorting option to Mongo input tool. Simple choice ASC or DESC order. 

Sebastian_Chaieb2_0-1679473890913.png

Thanks to that I can extract in example last 200 records and do my investigation instead of extracting everything 

In addition it will be much easier to estimate daily workload and extract (via scheduler) only this amount of data we need to analyze every day ad load results to external BD.

Thanks,

Sebastian 

0 Likes

Alteryx currently shows 100% in the profiling of spatial fields in the results window, regardless of if there are rows with missing spatial features. I opened a ticket about this & was told it is expected behavior.

Therefore, I submit the idea that the profiling for spatial fields should give an accurate profile of the field, & if there are nulls in the field, it should identify that column isn't 100% OK and show the % of records that have null values, like the profiling does for every other column in workflows.

1.JPG

Thank you!

0 Likes

Introduce CTE Functions and temp tables reading from SQL databases into Alteryx.I have faced use cases where I need to bring in table from multiple source tables based on certain delta condition. However, since the SQL queries turn to be complex in nature; I want to leverage an option to wrap it in a CTE function and then use the CTE function as an input for In-DB processing for Alteryx workflows.  

0 Likes

When you first pull the the download tool onto the workspace the password on the connection Tab is already populated plus you don't see a cursor when you click in the box!  you only see a cursor if click in the box and then type.  Can you please change this so it behaves the same as the the username box and leave it blank?

0 Likes

Alteryx has a 3 hour demo session on CloudShare which is very useful for quick demos...

How about having most up to date version of Alteryx as a demo as a starter?

• Unfortunately it's 11.5 right now... Not 11.7!!!
  • I'm demoing the older, slower version to the clients.

Picture1.png

0 Likes

Idea:

Similar to the Formula Tool how it shows an example based on the first record. Could the Filter Tool have a example based on the first record showing how the formula in the filter would handle that record? It would either show in an example field for the true sample or false sample based on the criteria. I feel this would be very useful for more complex formulas such as AND/OR.

Ex.

Filter Formula: [Count] <= 1

True Sample: [Blank]

False Sample: 4 (Value of first record which was filtered from [Count])

0 Likes

I was working on the file and there are multiple sheets need to be pulled from one excel file. I was not sure how we can give one source of information and pull multiple sheet from one source as per the requirement. So wanted to submit this idea to create a toll which can pull any sheet(s) from one input tool as per requirement.

0 Likes

When you import a csv file,  I sometimes use a "TAB" as delimiter. In section 5 Delimiters I want that as an option.

I have learned that it is possible to wright "\t" but a normal choice would bed nice.

0 Likes

Currently, the Parse Address tool cannot parse a field where the entire address, including so-called "last line" information (city/state/zip), is in all in the same field - it can only parse a street address contained in one field and last line information contained in a second field.  Can this tool be enhanced so that it can parse a full address in a single field?

0 Likes

Need a tool that can remove nulls in 2 ways:

1. Remove rows with null values

2. Remove columns with null values

0 Likes

Thinking you're able to open the config file like you might a macro. You pull it open, adjust/modify it , you resave it. 

0 Likes

Save/Load Unique Key Tool Configuration – similar to saving/loading other tools configs  (ie: select, join, append, etc)

0 Likes

Alteryx can add more advanced machine learning capabilities, such as deep learning and neural networks, to its existing set of predictive modeling tools. This will allow users to perform more complex and accurate analyses, and enable them to tackle more sophisticated machine learning problems. For example, Alteryx can add support for deep learning frameworks like TensorFlow and Keras, which will allow users to use pre-trained models or create their own models for image and natural language processing.

0 Likes

Alteryx can improve the data connectivity options by adding more built-in connectors to various data sources such as big data platforms, cloud-based services, and IoT devices. This will enable users to easily access and import data from a wider range of sources, without the need for complex coding or manual data preparation. For example, Alteryx can add connectors to popular big data platforms like Hadoop and Spark, or cloud-based services like AWS and Azure, which will allow users to easily import data from these platforms into Alteryx for analysis.

0 Likes

Hi,

Would it be possible to add to the Workflow Configuration / Runtime options so that we can disable all 'Connector' input tools from connecting with the external source.  At the moment, I need to put the workflow within a Container so that I can disable this rather than have it refresh from the source every time it is run.  This means that I could have all my code within the same workflow but make selections that control whether it refreshes from the source data or uses a local copy that has previously been downloaded.

I hope that this makes sense....

Peter

Top Liked Authors