Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Parse error at char - Why it is so complicated to find it

Hi,

I am not sure why it is so complicated to troubleshoot formula tools in Alteryx. When I am getting an error with information parse error at char (char number) why we don't get this information highlighted in the configuration tool at the left. 

It should be crystal clear for the user where he needs to troubleshoot his workflow. We can say that the formula tool is showing us where the formula is working, so it isn't so bad.

Emil_Kos_1-1627633045135.png

When working with a multi formulas tool, it isn't easy to figure out where the mistake occurred.

Emil_Kos_3-1627633300161.png

Can we highlight somehow this specific character and make users life easier?

5 Comments
CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @Emil_Kos I understand your frustration. The error message tells you at which character the error starts (26 in your example), so if you don't want to have to click through and count each character, the "Go" link at the bottom right corner of the config panel will move your cursor directly to that character.

Thanks for your feedback!

CristonS_0-1628179617592.png

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @CristonS,

Wow, that is super cool. Thank you for sharing that I wonder how many people don't know about this functionality besides me... 😛

Maybe the word go should be replaced with Troubleshoot? 

I have a follow-up question. What if we got an issue with the formula tool? There is also a similar button in this case? 

Emil_Kos_0-1628185794183.png

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Emil, the clues that the Formula tool provides are the character position, squiggly line (as you pointed out), and syntax highlighting:

Syntax Highlighting from the Help page:

As you edit the expression, the editor applies a color-coding scheme to its various parts to make the parts of the expression easy to distinguish. For example, functions are gold, variables are fuchsia, operators are magenta, and strings are turquoise, a blue-green.

So in your screenshot, you can see the highlighting at the beginning of expression 2, then the squiggle, then the rest of the text is black, to indicate that the expression editor does not recognize those elements as part of a correct syntax.

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@Emil_Kos , I agree that the word should change from Go to Go To Error or something more helpful.

Thanks, @CristonS, I never knew this functionality existed! 

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes