Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Output tool file type selection behaviour inconsistent

Apologies if this has been posted before, but couldn't find it.

In extended multi-workflow projects I output both yxdb files for later workflow use and xlsx files for human use to simplify support and allow non-Alteryx users to follow my workings.

Intuitively, I do this by copying and pasting the output file and then changing the type on the pasted output tool.

The behaviour on the copied output tool is not as expected if you change the file type without re-launching the File selector dialog.

I expected that changing the File Format should blank the file name browse, or change the file name to match the new FIle Format selection..

4 Comments
Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

When you say "I do this by copying and pasting the output file and then changing the type on the pasted output tool" do you mean changing the drop-down for File Format in the Output options?

Another route you could try instead is after pasting the tool, place your cursor in the text box outside/above the options and and type in the new extension that you want.

The text box at the top "Write to File or Database" drives the Output Options form. The Output Options form does not drive the "Write to File or Database"

This way we first pick the path and file we want, and then set the options. This enables the extension and Output Options to be independent. If they both drove each other, we would not be able to configure them independently, and picking the path/name first is a common convention.

DanHare
11 - Bolide

OK thanks, understood, will have to re-educate myself !

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Inactive

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx

The status of this idea has been changed to 'Inactive'. This status indicates that:

1. The idea has not had activity in the form of likes or comments in over a year.

2. The idea has not reached ten likes.

3. The idea is still in the 'New Idea' status. 

However, this doesn't mean your idea won't be implemented! The Community can still like and comment on this idea. With enough renewed interest, this idea can be brought back into the 'New Idea' status. 

Thank you for contributing to the Alteryx Community and the Alteryx Product Idea Boards!