Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Disable mouse wheel interactions for unexpanded drop downs

Dear Alteryx, 

One day, when I pass from this life to the next I'll get to see and know everything!  Loving data, one of my first forays into the infinite knowledge pool will be to quantify the time lost/mistakes made because excel defaults big numbers like customer identifiers to scientific notation.  My second foray will be to discover the time lost/mistakes made due to 

Unexpanded Mouse Wheel Drop Down Interaction

Riveting right?  What is this?  It's super simple, someone (not just Alteryx) had the brilliant idea that the mouse wheel should not just be used to scroll the page, but drop down menus as well.  What happens when both the page and the drop down menu exist, sometimes disaster but more often annoyance.  Case in point, configuring an input tool.

See the two scenarios below, my input is perfectly configured, I'll just flick my scroll wheel to see what row I decided to start loading from 

Happy Path, cursor not over drop down = I'll scroll down for you

Screenshot 2024-09-30 094624.png

Sad Path, cursor happened to hover the dropdown sometimes on the way down from a legit scroll = what you didn't want Microsoft Excel Legacy format?

Screenshot 2024-09-30 094659.png

And you better believe Alteryx LOVES having it's input file format value changed in rapid succession., hold please...

Screenshot 2024-09-30 095544.png

Scroll wheels should scroll, but not for drop down menus unless the dropdown has been expanded.

Oh and +1 for mouse horizontal scrolling support please.

2 Comments
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@ephij Two thumbs up for the entertaining submission. I wholeheartedly agree with this issue. For me, I've goofed up many a join over the years with the scroll wheel by accident...

image.png

I've never been at this screen and thought to intenionally use the scroll to blindly try and find the field I'm looking for.   

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Coming Soon

Good news! Fix coming soon - we agree this is an important one for accessibility and consistency :)