The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Alteryx Canvas Bookmark

We use several Files that are fairly large (canvas size). To traverse around to try and find where we last left off or to examine a specific X, Y at a specific zoom....one would need to either remember the tool number to search for or search for a keyword that returns several choices.

My suggested solution would be to create a bookmark(s). This would allow you to save a named bookmark that would save exactly where (X,Y) you are in the canvas and the Zoom level (Z). This way you could easily switch back and forth with in a canvas just back clicking the bookmark.

If anyone has ever used a CAD program that allowed the creation of 'Views' within the same diagram...this would be similar.

Thank you

13 Comments
chris_love
12 - Quasar

I have a simple idea we could use to create this - I'll build it and post it for your thoughts.

chris_love
12 - Quasar

Okay so here's my idea to solve this while we wait for a better solution.

First download my Bookmark Macro - click here

You'll then need to add it to Alteryx, so if you haven't already create a Macro Repository folder and drop it into there (Instructions).

Now when you open Alteryx you'll find the Bookmark macro in the Annotations category. Add it to the workflow:

2015-10-12_20-41-12.jpg

Configure:

2015-10-12_20-41-28.jpg

Follow the instructions

2015-10-12_20-41-40.jpg

Now when you search (and select sort by Name):

2015-10-12_20-42-00.jpg

It works, it's not ideal but it's okay.

To improve this in the product instead of a macro I'd ask Alteryx to add a checkbox to the Comment tool to turn it into a Bookmark (and give it a name), then amend the Find functionality to default to only showing bookmarks. 

Swift34
6 - Meteoroid
Sounds great!
chris_love
12 - Quasar

Let me know how it works once you've tried it @Swift34 

Swift34
6 - Meteoroid
Thank you again, Chris. Will it matter if I'm still running 9.5? We have
not been given the approval to upgrade yet!
chris_love
12 - Quasar
It might do, there's not special features but I did build it in v10. Let me
know if it doesn't work and I'll rebuild in v9.5.5.

Chris
Swift34
6 - Meteoroid
I just tried opening Alteryx and it complained about a macro that it could
not open!
GeoffJ
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

That's a neat solution, Chris!

We are working to improve the controls you use to navigate around the canvas, including a way to jump to specific locations.

Hopefully, you'll see these enhancements in the very near future. I'll follow up when the details get solidified.

Geoff

GeoffJ
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Coming Soon

GeoffJ
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

It's now possible to "bookmark" a section of the canvas with a Tool Container.

1. Add a Tool Container to the canvas (from the Documentation category).
  2. Give the Tool Container a meaningful name in the "Caption" text box in the Properties/ Configuration window.
  3. Right click anywhere on the canvas. You now have the option to "Zoom" to your Tool Container(s).

Right Click.png

Read more about enhancements to Canvas Navigation in Alteryx 10.1.