The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Add a format option to the DateTimeFormat function to display ordinal dates

I would like a new format option within the Designer function DateTimeFormat such that where a date is held in the database

e.g. 2023-01-01

DateTimeFormat([date],%o)

will return 1st not 1 or 01. 

Workarounds exist, but are fiddly given the different options....1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th.....

2 Comments
Alekh
9 - Comet

Was looking for one but since it doesn't exist, here's my way of getting a date to format '1st January 1900', and by extension, the ordinal for any number:

trim(DateTimeFormat([modified_at],'%e')) //Day of Month
+
IIF(Right(ToString(DateTimeDay([modified_at])),2) in ('11','12','13'),'th',Switch(Right(ToString(DateTimeDay([modified_at])),1),'th','1','st','2','nd','3','rd')) //Ordinal: if last 2 digits are 11,12,13 then add th otherwise add st,nd,rd if last digit is 1,2,3 respectively
+
DateTimeFormat([modified_at], ' %B %Y') //Month + Year
nickdreach
8 - Asteroid

Yeah, I've no problem working out some database logic to do it (thanks for your code, by the way)...but if Alteryx could just provide a format option it would be so....easy!