Alteryx Designer Ideas

Share your Designer product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

'Tis the season to be spooky! Read our new blog, How Spooky is Your City? Mapping and Predicting Scary Stuff. In it, @SusanCS provides a fun glimpse into using data to figure out the creepy quotient of where you live! And don't forget to check out our Digital Costume Thread to get yourself in the mood for a candy binge!

Output Option for Excel: Overwrite Data but not the Formatting

It would be great if there was an output option for excel files where you could overwrite the data in the sheet, but keep the formatting in the sheet. Similar to how the Paste Values option works in Excel. This would allow me to create a template with data validation, conditional formatting, column widths, cell fill colors, etc and set a workflow to run on a schedule and just paste the data into the existing template.

To get around this right now I have to output it to a separate tab and then paste the columns as values over the existing template. This is fine unless I am out of the office and need to bother someone else to do it. I know there have been many times where i wish this was an option outside of the report I am currently building. I am honestly surprised I couldn't find an idea already submitted about this!

Thanks,

Wes

2 Comments
The Hades Ferryman
Status changed to: Coming Soon

Thank you for posting to the Alteryx Designer Idea Board!

This feature will be available in an upcoming release! We'll update this idea again once the release is publicly available for download.

Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

Thank you for suggesting this! For the 2020.1 release, we have added the ability to write to a range and preserve the formatting of those cells. To enable this functionality you will need to check the 'Preserve Formatting on Overwrite' option. There are also some other Excel enhancements in this release as well. You can view the 2020.1 release notes here.