Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Designer is slow when using In-DB. It should keep the first connection alive.

Alteryx Designer is slow when using In-DB tools.

We use Alteryx 2019.1 on Hive/HortonWords with the Simba ODBC Driver configured with SSL enabled.

Here is a compare In-DB / in Memory : 

demo01.gif

demo02.gif

We found that Alteryx open a new connection for each action : 

- First link to joiner = 1 connection.

- Second ling to joiner = 1 connection.

- Click on the canevas = 1 connection.

Each connection take about 2,5 sec... It really slow down the Designer : 

ScreenLog.jpg

Please, keep alive the first connection instead of closing it and creating a new one for each action on the Designer.

31 Comments
i_love_databases
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

This was also mentioned in this idea : 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/In-db-Stay-connected-while-designing/idi-p/1...

best regards,

Simon

adriansilk
6 - Meteoroid

Is not the problem you have here that your In-Database and regular Input tools need to use different connections?

I think It's because we need to use Manage Data Connections and Manage In-DB Connections separately that the different tool sets have to create their own connections even if using the same credentials.

I'd like to see the two connection sets merged into one - then the Engine could at least try and open connections just once. And I could centrally manage my In-DB connections from my Gallery which I'd prefer to do.

sraynal
7 - Meteor

No, our problem is In-DB only.

adriansilk
6 - Meteoroid

Ah, sorry I was distracted by your animation!, hope you work it out...

sraynal
7 - Meteor

Thank you anyway.

These 2 gifs are 2 distincts workflows. It shows it takes 3x more time to configure a join In-DB than In-Memory.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Connection pooling would help with this, as you say, and would make the experience more interactive.    It may also help if Alteryx Designer caches some of the meta-data details so that it doesn't need to do a round-trip for each change to the flow.

collin_pace
9 - Comet

This would be a huge quality of life improvement.  Designing a flow with In-DB tools is so slow and quite frustrating that each click on a tool or the canvas takes 10-20 seconds.  

ITTeam
6 - Meteoroid

+1 on this issue for visibility 

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

+1

mattvandivier
6 - Meteoroid

Looks like this has gotten some significant traction lately - would love to see this idea addressed by the Alteryx team.